Author Topic: Cockrell Breeding Age  (Read 3960 times)

Mitchell Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Cockrell Breeding Age
« on: January 02, 2018, 10:52:15 PM »
At what age do you recommend/put a cockrell over pullets/hens? I've read that a cockrell can breed at 16 - 20 weeks but that fertility can be an issue and that they may struggle breeding until they have figured the whole process out better.

The majority of our flock is the same age 16 weeks so the cockreels are the same size or larger than most of the pullets. We do have 4 pullets/hens that will be a year old in March that are a little larger than the cockreels, but the way the cockreels are maturing that will not last long.

This will be our first breeding season so any tips or advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Mitch and Tiffany

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Cockrell Breeding Age
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:32:07 AM »
I usually don't use cockerels in my breeding pens until they are 6-7 months old for LF. Bantams at 5 months. Due to our shorter breeding and hatching in the northern states, many times those LF cockerels are in the 8-9 month old range when I start harvesting eggs for hatching.
Gordon Gilliam

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Cockrell Breeding Age
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 08:13:25 AM »
Mitch and Tiffany,  Most LF folks will only have one generation per year, so breeding age is not so much an issue.  Their males are almost always a bit older, about 8 -11 months or so like Gordon mentioned.  16 weeks sounds pretty young, But If its your only male, or if you really like him, put him together with females and he might develop faster than the norm.  You can watch him and check some eggs every once in while if you are anxious to start hatching.  I don't think you are going to mess up anything by trying. - Bantam folks can push it and get two generations a year if they need.

You will have more options Once you get started and have a couple generations of males to work with.  Some breeders will only breed from males and females that are 2 years old.  This gives them to chance to completely mature and gain their full feather set.  And it also gives them a chance to show any problems they might carry.  If they are going to display white wing tips or some other fault it should show up by this time.     Good Luck!
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9