Author Topic: ? for Blue Wheaten breeders  (Read 10603 times)

? for Blue Wheaten breeders
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 10:40:04 PM »
Mike,

You are correct that the lacing found in birchen birds is not due to the Pg gene. Not all birchen birds have the lacing so there must be another gene that is interacting with the birchen gene to cause the lacing. Or it could be that another gene is covering the lacing on the birds that do not have lacing.

Pg is expressed on all of the feathers on a bird. The lacing I have seen in birchen birds is found on the breast of the bird.

I used the birchen gene as an example of how black intensifiers or extenders work. I have had E/eb males that have had some gold in the hackles and back region.

I have some birchen pullets now that are almost completely black. They have some of the black intensifiers in them and I will have to breed them out. Melanotic and charcoal are two that have been identified. To get a good brown red you would want to breed the birds as to remove the black intensifiers. That way you would get more gold in the hackles of the females and more in the hackles, back and saddle feathers of the males.

Tim

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 11:40:16 PM »
I had posted awhile back asking for pics of wheaten &/or blue wheaten chicks, but got no response. I just found this thread &  and these look very simular to mine. I am curious how they turned out, do you have any recent pics of the birds?

Blue Egg Acres

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 11:55:29 AM »
I\'m sorry to take so long with this, I had to dig up the photos. These pics were taken at the end of August, so the birds were 4 - 5 months of age. There are wheaten, blue wheaten and splash wheaten males pictured here.

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 01:33:10 PM »
Thank you,Barbara! They are just GORGEOUS! Look very much like the babies I hatched from my roo, Cyclone.  I may be wrong, but I\'m pretty sure he came from your stock.  I\'m hoping one or more of the cockerals turn out just like their father!

Blue Egg Acres

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2006, 01:50:35 PM »
I don\'t remember who you said you got Cyclone from? I can tell you whether or not he originated from my stock.

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2006, 04:59:53 PM »
I got him from Angela, on here after ,my roo, Tornado from Bantam Hill, got killed by dogs. I just checked w/ her and she said her neighbor got them (chicks) from you. He is QUITE the roo, rules the whole flock!  B)

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 01:35:56 AM »
Quote from: Blue Egg Acres
I don\'t remember who you said you got Cyclone from? I can tell you whether or not he originated from my stock.

So, did he originate from your stock?

Blue Egg Acres

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 11:30:51 AM »
Yes, and I\'m pretty sure Tornado did also. Michael of Bantam Hill got his start in wheatens/blue wheatens from me.

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 07:19:49 PM »
Well they are(were in Tornado\'s case  :( ) both beautiful guys... do you happen to have a website or more pics of your birds? The ones I\'ve seen here have all been gorgeous!! Am hoping to get some more chicks,eggs or pullets in the spring... am really loving the chicks he\'s thrown so far, one looks like he might grow to be the spittin\' image of his father!