Author Topic: Red Cell Vitamin  (Read 6287 times)

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Red Cell Vitamin
« on: January 28, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »
  We purchased a gallon of Red Cell for horses to use in our breeder's feed.  We have heard and read where it is suppose to boost the old cocks fertility which we have been having a problem with.  The first Red Cell feed was fed Saturday Jan. 27, 2018.

One cup of Red Cell was mixed with approximately one gallon of fish meal/soybean meal/vita-ferm-Cattlemans Blend.  Then this damp meal mixture was added to 50 pounds of wheat, 10 pounds oats, 5 pounds of commercial layer feed, some grower grit and a pint of oyster shell.  One mixer of this feed will feed our breeding pens for two days.  The remaining 5 days of the week we will use corn oil in the meals to dampen them and give them a clinging ability to stick to the whole grains.  This experiment should last about 16 weeks per gallon of Red Cell.

Anyone have experience with Red Cell that they would like to share?
Paul Smith

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Red Cell Vitamin
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 12:37:19 PM »
We've used Red Cell for many years for breeding and conditioning on a rotational basis.  We used to provide Clovite horse supplement but it's become too costly now.  I've seen the Red Cell for poultry in quarts but only seen the Red Cell for horses in gallon sized which is more affordable.  I would make sure the proportions are diluted a bit from the Horse version.  We mix it with grains like you which allows you to mix dry ingredients if needed and not have it left on the bottom of the feed trough.  Corn, Wheat Germ and Cod liver Oils can all be used in rotation to give them the advantage of different minerals and micro nutrients.  In the colder months we use any oils or fats from cooking as well. And I know of many folks that use out of date dairy products too.  I think it helps to give them a bit of an advantage in any times of stress as well.  At the very least it makes you feel that you are doing the best you can for the birds.  I feel it's also a better option than trying to burn them up with consistent high protein feeds. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:40:53 PM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 07:49:03 PM »
I have used red cell for years for breeding and conditioning. Instead of using in a dry mix, I have been mixing it in the drinking water. I use a couple of tablespoons per gallon of water. I generally give the mix to the birds for 3 days then water only for a day then back to the mix. It sure helps if I am having fertility issues. Another thing that I have noticed is that it really helps on feather growth.
Gordon Gilliam

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 08:38:16 PM »
I add red cell to our waterers each week. I use the liquid form.
Joshua 24:15

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 08:39:16 AM »
For those of you adding it to the water - how much per gallon?

Thanks
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »
Susan, I use 2 tablespoons per gallon of water. I find it easier to put about a quarter gallon of water in the jug, add the red cell, then fill the jug the rest of the way up. Just shake the jug up and voila you're all set.
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 05:02:27 PM »
I've used it before, but may not have been using enough, or wasn't paying attention. :)  I didn't really notice a difference.  I'm going to try it again this year, though.

Thanks!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Lisa Helms

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 06:51:16 PM »
I used Red Cell with an Araucana  (rumpless, Tufted) Hen with Wry neck.    I added it to her water 1 tablespoon per gallon and would use a syringe when she was really bad and couldn't drink on her own.    She made a complete recovery in 13 days.    She was really bad.   :)

jwoodhaven

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodhavenpoultry.com
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »
This year I am trying 2 oz. of red cell, 2 oz. of peanut oil, and 2 oz. of fish meal mixed in a 5 gal. bucket of feed. My first hatch with getting this feed will be the 24th of Feb. The birds were on the mix 2 weeks before I started collecting eggs again. It is said that it helps with fertility and hatching. The fertility went up by about 10% for me and we will see on the hatching.