Author Topic: Brown Red female description  (Read 2593 times)

John

Brown Red female description
« on: August 03, 2006, 12:57:24 PM »
In another topic Jean asked
On the brown reds, the female standard indicates lemon plumage.... am I missing something?

In an email message, APA VP, Sam Brush said
For the Brown Red color, the reference has always been back to the Modern Game Brown Red.  Mike Gilbert pointed out that it really should be referencing the darker orange variation of Brown Red for the Ameraucanas, and a while back requested that the reference go to the Brown Red Cochin, which had the non-lemon words.  Since that time we discovered that an action had been taken for Brown Red Moderns and Old English Games to change to the orange wording instead of lemon.  That was done to some extent in the more recent versions, but we missed converting the female Brown Red Modern color description to reflect the orange term.  It will be completely fixed and transformed in the next edition, so that the Ameraucanas can reference the Brown Red Modern color and be of the correct orange style rather than lemon.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 01:47:18 PM »
That\'s nice to hear, as I thought I was going blind.  I did not know what the actual standard was since I do not own brown/reds, but I was sure they looked orange.  :p

Jean
Jean

grisaboy

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 11:15:14 AM »
This is one of the problems with having a standard color variety that references another breed.  Other breeds sometimes will convince the APA and ABA to change their standard descriptions.  I know this happened with Brown Red Moderns where the color used to be orange and then was changed to lemon.  I think this was done to be more consistent with the description for lemon blue.  The problem was that it is very difficult to breed brown reds with a lemon top color even from lemon blues.  So then they petitioned to change back to the orange top color.  By default, any breed that referenced the modern game brown color also changed and had the same problems.
Something to keep in mind as we proceed with adjusting the color description for Silver.