The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > News and Information

Proposed change in APA Standard for Blue Wheaten males

(1/3) > >>

Susan Mouw:
The ABC Board of Directors was approached about presenting a change to the APA for the Blue Wheaten large fowl - males only.  The Board of Directors had quite an extensive conversation about the proposal and have since voted no to sponsor the request.  It is, however, our understanding that another club voted yes to proceed.  If you breed blue wheaten large fowl Ameraucana, you might want to be aware of this possible change proposal and you might be contacted about it. You might even agree with the change and wish to support it.  Here are the proposed changes:

Large Fowl Blue Wheaten Male
NECK (as it is now) - Hackle - light orange shading to golden at lower extremities, free from dark striping. Front of neck - blue, some orange ticking permissible.

NECK (proposed, with changes highlighted) - Hackle – light orange shading to golden at lower extremities, free from dark striping. Front of neck – blue, preferably edged with dark blue with some dark blue shafting, some orange ticking permissible.

WINGS (as it is now): Fronts - blue, preferably laced with dark blue.

WINGS (proposed, with changes highlighted): Fronts – blue, preferably edged with dark blue with some dark blue shafting.

BREAST (as it is now): Blue, preferably laced with dark blue.

BREAST (proposed, with changes highlighted): Blue, preferably edged with dark blue with some dark blue shafting.

There is a common misconception that the word "lacing" as used in describing the blue wheaten males is the same as the word "lacing" used in other color descriptions - specifically the blue Ameraucana - however, the "lacing" used here is described correctly as a darker blue; while lacing, as used in the description of the Andalusian (from which the Blue Ameraucana gets its color description), is always black, sometimes a flat black and sometimes a glossy black, but always black.  The addition of the "preferred shafting" was also a deterrent for this ABC Board and it was not approved by a majority vote.

The descriptions of the SOP (as it is now) are taken from the APA Standard of Perfection, 2010 version.

Andrew Johnson:
I will speak up and say I strongly agree for the changes. I believe "laced" needs to be taken completely out. I also believe that some of the APA standard for Ameraucanas was poorly written. No one should have to refer to another breed to figure out what our birds should look like.

Don:
You are right Andrew.  A lot of the language takes a bit of learning curve to understand.  And the references are often difficult to track too.  Part of the issue I think is because of the way the APA is organized with color descriptions related to one breed rather than in a stand alone section like the ABA has them listed.  Another part of the description difficulty I think is trying to relay a visual picture of the bird in a way that is really a form of an outline.  There seems to have been a lot of personal preferences from each standard committee members of the two clubs over time as well. It must have been even more complex given that the language in the APA/ABA have to be different because of copy-write protection.  Thanks for your input.

Ernie Haire:
I think that we put too much importance on lacing of Blue Ameraucanas. One of the elephants in the room that nobody wants to address is the constant attempt to improve the lacing on Blue Ameraucanas drives people toward crossbreeding. Am I the only one who has noticed that most of the better laced Blue Ameraucanas carry other Andalusian characteristics? I have to shake my head when someone mentions the beautiful lacing on the Blue Ameraucana. They never want to discuss the white earlobes, elongated feathers, or the Mediterranean body type of their beautiful Blue Ameraucana.  This is why we do not breed and or show Blue Ameraucanas.

You know what they say, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em or let 'em have it. I refused to use Andalusians in our Blue Ameraucana breeding program, so I decided to let 'em have it.

Be Blessed,
Ernie Haire

Peggy Taylor:
I prefer neat lacing on the breast of my Blue Wheaten males in both Large Fowl and Bantams. I pretty much have it set in my males but I do see a lot of males without good lacing or with no lacing at all. I don't like the red/orange ticking in the breast. I don't have a problem with the ticking issue because I have bred away from it and culled for it from the start. I very seldom have a male with any red ticking at all.

I am simply going to keep my opinions to myself about why "needed changes" to standards are often presented.

I completely agree with Ernie about the issue of lacing in the Blue Ameraucanas

Peggy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version