Author Topic: Getting Ready for York (First Show!)  (Read 2903 times)

Jack Riccardelli

• ABC Members
  • Chickens! Chickens everywhere!!
    • View Profile
    • Biddy Thumper Farm
Getting Ready for York (First Show!)
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:52:42 AM »
Hey everyone!

Hope the Spring Show season is going well for all of you. I'm in the middle of getting ready for my first show, York on the 26th, and I wanted to know what you guys have in your show boxes, plus any advice you might have for me.

So far for my show box I'm grabbing nail clippers, VetRx/Vetricyn, extra leg bands, baby wipes, and a nail file to start with. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Biddy Thumper Farm
Ameraucanas, Wyandottes, Welsh Harlequins, Cochin Bantams, Pomeranian Saddleback Geese

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Ready for York (First Show!)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »
People use other oils or at least mixed oils too. (Vetrx is not only way overly expensive, its just carrier oils and a few drops of essential oils) and it has a strong smell for quite a while. Judges hands probably stink for days.   

Tweezers, soft tooth brushes and Cotton swabs/q-tips and a soft dry towel or two comes in handy often. Lots of people use some spray to dust/shine their entries but try to avoid things with odors or heavy oils. You'll probably want a pen and small note pad during the show as well. A zip-lock or two can keep dry papers or wet towels etc. You can keep your vet/test papers or other records in one of these for easy access.

Take your feed and or treats if you want. The clubs usually have cups and feed for the exhibitors to use. Some folks feel that their home blend of feed is better and they will even bring their own feeders and cups. But don't leave "special stuff" in the cage when they are ready to judge. You might see some folks who bring special drinkers or use colored water or a special mix of feed grains that is pretty obvious.  I don't think most  judges pay attention to this stuff. But it's not worth having the other exhibitors comment or think about that sort of thing.
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Jack Riccardelli

• ABC Members
  • Chickens! Chickens everywhere!!
    • View Profile
    • Biddy Thumper Farm
Re: Getting Ready for York (First Show!)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 03:25:20 PM »
People use other oils or at least mixed oils too. (Vetrx is not only way overly expensive, its just carrier oils and a few drops of essential oils) and it has a strong smell for quite a while. Judges hands probably stink for days.   

Tweezers, soft tooth brushes and Cotton swabs/q-tips and a soft dry towel or two comes in handy often. Lots of people use some spray to dust/shine their entries but try to avoid things with odors or heavy oils. You'll probably want a pen and small note pad during the show as well. A zip-lock or two can keep dry papers or wet towels etc. You can keep your vet/test papers or other records in one of these for easy access.

Take your feed and or treats if you want. The clubs usually have cups and feed for the exhibitors to use. Some folks feel that their home blend of feed is better and they will even bring their own feeders and cups. But don't leave "special stuff" in the cage when they are ready to judge. You might see some folks who bring special drinkers or use colored water or a special mix of feed grains that is pretty obvious.  I don't think most  judges pay attention to this stuff. But it's not worth having the other exhibitors comment or think about that sort of thing.

Yeah I figured the only kind of water/feeder/cup thing I'd need would probably be just some extra solo cups just in case. I wasn't planning on decorating or doing anything strange like that, my bird is supposed to be the focus anyways.

Crap I almost forgot about Tweezers (this is why I asked), yeah I better start getting all of this together asap. I know someone I talked to was saying to use a vegetable oil mix for combs and feet. Hopefully I have a spare tacklebox or something I can use lying around the house.
Biddy Thumper Farm
Ameraucanas, Wyandottes, Welsh Harlequins, Cochin Bantams, Pomeranian Saddleback Geese