Author Topic: Breeding pens  (Read 4354 times)

Michael Robinson

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Breeding pens
« on: June 29, 2018, 10:40:34 AM »
I’m getting ready to start on an open floor space 32’ x 32’lean-to with one end open to the outside. This will probably be a work in progress over the next year or so.

I’ll use minimal dividing walls, so that it can be refitted to whatever my needs are at the time - breeding pens, grow out, etc.

I’ve noticed some of you have pens that are basically 3 - 2’ x 3’ double stacked cages. I like the idea of using these for better quality breeding stock.

As someone that’s relatively new to chickens, if I place these cage type pens in a single pen with a 3’ - 4’ walkway between them, will I have issues with roosters seeing each other across the aisle, or issues with placing other breeds in the center aisle to breed (for example Easter eggers) to utilize space.

My understanding is that you need a divider 3’ - 4’ high between pens that the roosters can’t see through , so that the roosters don’t try to fight through the wire or fencing.

Just looking for some feedback from some of you with more experience. Thanks!

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: Breeding pens
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 05:38:29 PM »
My breeder pens are all 8 x 8 with the coop/nest box attached at the front.  Each pen has a solid divider between it and the next pen that is 4.5' to 5' tall and there is always a 1"x12" that goes all the way across the bottom to prevent scratching underneath.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
  Cardboard vision blockers are often used at the shows when cocks or cockerels need isolation to prevent fighting through the wire coops.  This works in cages also!  I've seen clear plastic sheets tried, but it doesn't work very well.
Paul Smith

Michael Robinson

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:47:38 PM »
  Cardboard vision blockers are often used at the shows when cocks or cockerels need isolation to prevent fighting through the wire coops.  This works in cages also!  I've seen clear plastic sheets tried, but it doesn't work very well.

Thanks Paul! A piece of cardboard or maybe some luan plywood that can easily be hung and moved on the front of the lower cages would be a good solution if needed when a rooster is in.