Author Topic: South Central District Meet-1st Self Blue large fowl qualifying meet Nov. 17-18  (Read 9689 times)

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
  Only 5 days left to enter the South Central District ABC meet, the first qualifying self blue meet and the national APA meet in Shawnee, Oklahoma.  The show is called North American Poultry Breeders.  The show is Nov. 17 & 18.  If you raise large fowl self blue Ameraucanas, the ABC could use your support if you are an adult member of the APA.  We must have 5 APA members show in each of the four classes C, H, K, P, and a minimum of five more self blue of any sex for a total of 25 head.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:01:27 PM by Paul »
Paul Smith

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
I hope Paul doesn't mind me spilling the beans, But just talked with He or Angela by messenger.......  And the numbers are there at the Shawnee show for the First Qualifying meet for LF Self Blue.   Congrats to all those showing to be a part of this history for the Breed.   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing! Sad that we were unable to be there. That is great news!
Joshua 24:15

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Thanks again to all those that made the Qualifying meet in Shawnee a success. Obviously they would not have been able to pass the test without all of your hard work and effort to get the entries there. 

Now, so Who is up for a trip next fall to Columbus Oh for the Second Qualifying meet????    It seems that the APA has now decided that the next test has to be there.  The "Ohio" is normally heald the second weekend of  Nov.    Maybe by then they can learn to spell the name of the breed.   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
  The SC district meet was held at the North American Poultry Breeders Show in Shawnee, OK. on November 17 & 18, 2018 which was the APA national meet.  We had a very successful show with 17 exhibitors from 4 states exhibit 88 head in the open large fowl show.  Amanda Stallman judged the LF open show.

Nine blue were shown with Max Strawn winning BV on a pullet and RV on a cockerel which had previously won BB and higher in several shows.  Two blue wheaten pullets were shown with Kyle Zimdars winning BV and Paul & Angela Smith RV.  Two splash pullets were shown with Max Strawn winning BV on a pullet.  The other one was DQ due to yellow foot bottoms.  One wheaten pullet was shown into BV by Paul & Angela Smith.  Fourteen whites were shown with Jerry DeSmidt winning BV on a cock and Sherry Klaus RV on a pullet.  Twenty-three black were shown with Max Strawn winning BV and BB on a cockerel.  Shannon Rowe won RV and RB on a hen.

A special thanks to (exhibitor list order) Sherry Klaus, Shannon Rowe, Chris Cross, Paul & Angela Smith, Matt Cooperrider, Lorri Story, Howard Story and Dakota Chickens (Dakota Weimar) for meeting the self blue required minimum numbers for our first qualifying meet.  The correct requirements are we have a minimum of 5 in each of the four classes (C, H, K, P) and an additional 5 head for a total of 25 head shown by a minimum of 5 APA members.  There were six cocks shown with Paul & Angela Smith placing first.  Fourteen hens were shown with Dakota Chickens (Dakota Weimar) placing first and RV.  Five Cockerels were shown with Chris Cross placing first.  Twelve pullets were shown with Sherry Klaus placing first and BV.  We have successfully met the requirements.  Amanda did approve the self blue for recognition but did comment we need to work on consistency and color especially in the males.  Saturday evening after the APA banquet and APA directors meeting, I managed to talk with John Monaco who replaced Walt Leonard.  A quote from John “We have tightened up the rules.”  Walt told me the ABC would need both an APA district meet and an APA national meet as self blue qualifying meets and that it didn’t matter which was first.  Whichever worked best for the breed club would be fine.  The written rules state that the national APA would be the second qualifying meet.  The reason is, so the APA directors could see how much improvement has been made within one years time.  This requires us to make the APA national meet at Columbus, Ohio, mid November, 2019 for our second qualifying meet, so the APA directors can go through the birds and either approve or reject them as being recognized.  I had the opportunity to go through the self blue entries with district 3 director and well known Judge Tim Bowles on Sunday morning before coop out.  Tim has raised self blue d’Anvers bantams for 31 years giving him much experience and knowledge of the self blue variety.  Only black should be used to cross with self blues to breed from splits.  Preferably blacks with slate shanks rather than black shanks.  The silver gene will most likely be in blacks with slate shanks, also slate shanks is the correct color for self blues according to the proposed description.  Blue should not be crossed with the self blue as it is producing self blue which are too light and carrying extra genes.  Tim recommended not getting too many genes involved.  His primary concern is what the self blue will produce in 4 or 5 generations into the future.  Two years ago at the first self blue pre-qualifying meet the birds were more uniform than they were this past weekend.  Everyone needs to consider, we were trying to meet the required numbers with many birds that are still in molt in our area.  Both Amanda and Tim commented we must get the self blue more uniform.  Tim and APA President John Monaco, told me that several changes are being developed in the recognition process to make sure the birds are uniform and available.  Hopefully we can all get the self blue on the correct breeding selections, then have the required 5 APA members exhibit the required 25 head minimum, which are uniform enough to be able to get the APA board to approve them at our second qualifying meet in Columbus, Ohio in 2019 at the national APA meet! 

Twelve bantam exhibitors from six states exhibited 71 head in the open show, judged by Troy Laroche.  Twenty blacks were shown with Jerry DeSmidt winning BV on a cock and Dwayne Snider RV on a cockerel.  Ten blues were shown with Jerry DeSmidt winning BV on a cockerel and Dwayne Snider winning RV on a pullet.  Seven blue wheaten were shown with Tiffiny Johnston-Yoder winning BV, BB and best AOCCL on a pullet and RV and RB also on a pullet.  Eight brown red were shown with Triple S Farm (Gracie Stonebarger) winning BV and RV on two cockerels.  Eight buff were shown with Jerry DeSmidt winning BV and RV on two cockerels.  One chocolate pullet and one self blue pullet were shown by Dwayne Snider into BV.  Sixteen wheaten were shown with Jerry DeSmidt winning BV on a cock and Game Reaper Old English (Willie Silvey) winning RV on a pullet.  Eighteen white were shown with Max Strawn winning BV on a cockerel and Ernie Haire wining RV on a hen.

Since this was our SC district meet, I had Amanda Stallman and Troy Laroche select a champion and Res. Ameraucana.  They chose the blue wheaten bantam pullet shown by Tiffiny Johnston-Yoder for champion, and the LF black cockerel shown by Max for reserve champion.

We also had a very good junior show with 22 head in each, the LF and bantam show.  The large fowl, shown by 7 juniors, were judged by Bill Patterson while we  were holding our annual meeting so we didn’t manage to get a photo of Bill judging.  Eighteen black were shown with Hoyt Bolesky winning BV and RB on a hen and Kaylen Taylor winning RV on a pullet.  Four blue were shown with Kaylen Taylor winning BV and BB and Best AOSB on a pullet.  The RV blue was also a pullet shown by Joseph Mantooth.

Two juniors exhibited 22 head of bantams judged by Mark Dooms.  Six blacks were shown with Keirsten Klaus winning BV on a cockerel and RV on a pullet.  Seven blue wheaten were shown with Woody Springer winning BV, BB and best AOCCL on a cockerel and RV on a pullet.  Nine wheaten were shown with Woody Springer winning BV and RB on a cockerel and RV on a pullet.

Mark Dooms and Bill Patterson selected the LF blue pullet shown by Kaylen Taylor for the junior champion and the bantam blue wheaten cockerel show by Woody Springer for res. junior champion.

It was decided by majority vote to hold our 2019 SC district meet at the Oklahoma State Poultry Federation in Shawnee in Dec. 2019, at our ABC SC district meeting.  This will cause the second weekend in December 2019 to not be available for ABC club meets.  All other dates are available.

Paul Smith
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:22:06 PM by Paul »
Paul Smith

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Thanks Paul for your detailed report on the South Central District meet. It sounds like you had a great show with a large number of exhibitors and entries. I can't wait to see the pictures. Thanks for the info you gathered on the quest for Self Blue recognition. Sharing this should help in consistency in color of the birds and selecting breeding stock to help in that area. Great job on lining up entries to meet the SB quota requirements.
Gordon Gilliam

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Actually, the standard for OEG and Belgian D'Anvers self-blue reads the same as our proposed standard.

Plumage: In all sections preferences to be given to a medium shade of clear blue, free from lacing, shaftiness, mealiness, and messiness, with no contrast in color between any of the sections, a harmonious blending of all sections being desired, the male sex feathers or hackles, back saddle and wing-bows carrying a metallic gloss of the same basic hue as the general plumage and free from green, purple, or bronze sheen
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 08:32:01 AM by Susan Mouw »
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
  I know that it reads the same as the OEG & Belgian D'Anvers self blue.  Where we have been missing the correctness on the males is "carrying a metallic gloss"...According to well know judge and APA district 3 director Tim Bowles the self blue males must have the metallic gloss or they will produced washed out self blue offspring in a few generations of breeding them.  The metallic gloss is a silvery-white.  Most breeders have most likely been culling males with the metallic gloss, calling it leakage.  According to Tim we should be culling the males that have gold, brown, yellow or any other color and the ones without metallic gloss.  Tim compared metallic gloss to new shiny metal.  Check out Diane Jackey's painting on page 207 and 227 in the 1998 Standard Of Perfection, or page 216 and 239 in the 2010 Standard Of Perfection.  Tim's main concern was what are the self blue Ameraucanas going to produce in four to five generations!  He told me about the acceptance of a new variety that virtually disappeared due to having a "blow up".  The rules have been and are being tightened up on the recognition process to prevent this from happening again.  We must get in unity breeding self blue or they will not pass the inspection that is coming at our second qualifying meet in Columbus, Ohio in 2019 at the APA national meet.
Paul Smith

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
My apologies, Paul. I misread, "Our ABC self blue description contradicts itself in the males according to Tim, as I gave him a copy." in your original post as stating that our proposed standard was incorrect.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
  Sometimes I have a poor way of expressing what I'm trying to say.  Guess it comes with age.  LOL!
Paul Smith

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
I think Tim Bowles is completely off base in his interpretation of a picture by Diane Jacky.  The photo is the artists interpretation of the standard and is not necessarily the perfect bird.  In addition, my interpretation of her picture is that there is some silvery color on the hackles in the photo of the male of the color to indicate the glossiness that cannot be portrayed in this media.

I have talked to Brian Decker and he said our standard is written correctly as the color for the male is the same shade except for the glossy sheen on the male sex feathers.  Walt Leonard guided us through writing the color standard and accepted it as written.  If this were a problem with the other birds listed in the Standard it would have been fixed by now as the color has been approved in OEG LF and bantam since 1965.

Metallic gloss is not silvery white.  The definition of silvery white in the SOP is:  "A lustrous white, generally applied to the lustrous white color in hackle, back, saddle and wing bow plumage of a white or parti-white male."

The definition of gloss is shine or luster.  The structure of the sex feathers in all male birds have gloss.  Metallic is defined as resembling metal - a grayish blue color.  So we are defining a grayish blue color with shine or luster.

Furthermore, I think discussions like this should be brought to the Board before announcing it to the Club before appropriate research has been done.
Jean

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II