Author Topic: Which Auction styles does everyone like and think works best?  (Read 4261 times)

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Which Auction styles does everyone like and think works best?
« on: October 29, 2018, 02:59:36 PM »
I know we have been successful in the silent auctions for Off-Site bidding especially.  But what do you members prefer and think will make more money for the club on-site at the National or even bigger meets for the ABC?   

I am not sure how the individual items bid for this past show in Greenville.  Susan, what are your thoughts about the bidding for the spring chicks and eggs?  Did we have multiple bids and do you feel that we reached maximim prices for most of these?

And while we are here, would more people be interested in Egg Shows in the spring shows while the birds are laying better?
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Which Auction styles does everyone like and think works best?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 07:23:39 PM »
Don, at the 2017 ABC National Show in Hutchinson MN, for the on site items on auction we put an open bid form for each item. It was surprising how many bidders kept coming back and checking on their bid. Many were outbid so they re entered a new bid. I think it was harder on me at the ABC table watching the bidding as there was this semi-elderly lady that really wanted one of the items. She kept re bidding, but was edged out at the last minute. When she came back, I had to tell her that she did not win, I felt so sorry for her! On the other hand a young boy wanted to bid on the Bantam 4 hole show box. He finally convinced his mom to bid, and bid she did. After many bids, much to Jan Geis dismay, he prevailed and Jan had to settle for the Bantam 3 hole show box.

On the Spring Egg Show contest, I know personally I value every egg to the incubators. I always have requests to buy eggs, but my eggs all go to chick orders and my grow out stock.
Gordon Gilliam

jwoodhaven

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodhavenpoultry.com
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:02:00 PM »
I like the visual bidding if I am out bid on something I am going to go back and bid again.

For the Egg Contest in the spring Most of my eggs are being set for chicks.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 07:01:31 AM »
This is the first year I've been able to actually see how the Silent Auctions went and I observed a couple of things:

1)  On the birds that are for sale at the Silent Auction, they should be either tagged on the crate, if entered in the show, or in a separate sell area if not entered, where folks can see them and know which ones are being bid on.
2)  I really like the idea of an open bidding sheet...let's do that next year!
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com