Author Topic: National Rotation - Alternate Regions  (Read 3263 times)

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
National Rotation - Alternate Regions
« on: December 01, 2018, 06:58:28 AM »
"Any chance of holding a National near us folks in the western part of the country? lol"

Cesar asked this question, and it was answered regarding the National rotation.  But it raises a question that has been on my mind for some time. It does seem to feel like some areas are isolated because the rotation takes 5 years to come around to each district.

One of the other Breed clubs has a system where they also have Regional Meets each year. So as example, when the National meet is in the East, they have a Regional Meet in the Western and Middle portions of the country. These meets are not as attended as the National and the awards are much more along the lind of the District type meets. But the point is to give the breeders in those areas a place to gather and promote the breed while they wait for the National to return.  Anyone else have examples from other clubs? 

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:07:27 PM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: National Rotation - Alternate Regions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 05:16:52 PM »
I'm not sure adding additional meets is the answer, but I'll let other members speak to that.  I think each District Director that hosts the National in their turn, or placing their District meets needs to consider what areas of the country and their District have been overlooked in previous years and try to host some meets in those locations.  I know the SE District, with the exception of the northernmost states of KY and VA, have never held an ABC National and, especially now, with the growing population of ABC members in the South and over 1/3 of those are showing, it might be time to start looking at those southern states, like TN, SC, GA, AL, and MS.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »
That's why they call them National Meets. You want people to be able to attend from all over the region, not just one District. Same Logic we don't place the major meets in Florida or Maine.  These locations are not accessible to the most population.     

As it stands now, the National is only within a third of the membership every three years, that's if you consider that folks from the say within 1,000 miles can attend if they choose.  If we had regional meets every member should be able to attend one of the regional meets each year. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:12:54 PM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Temple DaSilva

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 10:06:24 AM »
That's why they call them National Meets. You want people to be able to attend from all over the region, not just one District. Same Logic we don't place the major meets in Florida or Maine.  These locations are not accessible to the most population. 

Yup, and that's why we - or speaking for myself, I guess - in the North East District didn't quibble a bit when the National  was placed in the westernmost part of our district this year.  Had we been able to make it, it would have been a 16+ hour drive each way and we aren't at the farthest reaches of the district. We didn't not go due to the distance but the fact that I didn't have a single bird that wasn't haggy with molt!  Ohio made it much more accessible for other club members to attend... and they did.

-Temple DaSilva
in Connecticut

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 10:34:31 AM »
Well, the National for 2019 has been placed by Don at the Dixie Classic show in Knoxville, TN - first w/end in December.  Which gives a large group of exhibitors - both from the SE District, NE District, and many points west - a chance to attend a National.

Our Constitution & By-laws specifically requires an annual rotation (Article VIII of the Bylaws):
"Article VIII - Club Meets
The Ameraucana Breeders Club shall hold an annual National meet to be rotated clockwise each year among
the club districts. The District Director will place the National meet by November 15th for the following year. If it is not placed, with notification to the Board, by that date the Director of the next District in rotation will have 30 days to place the National meet. Should a district be unable to host the National meet in its allotted turn the meet shall pass on to the next district in rotation."

If we need to address changing that, then we can do that with the next election in 2020.

Looking back over some ancient posts in the forum as well as some of the older newsletters, it would seem that the purpose in rotating the National was to give all member exhibitors, in each District, an opportunity to attend a National at least once every 5 years, so it would make sense, to me at least, to listen to the needs/wants of those in the assigned District first, and then try to balance those needs with the best interests of the club, as a whole, while staying true to our written Constitution and By-laws.  It is a delicate balancing act, to be sure.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com