Author Topic: Effective April 1st, the ABC Board of Directors will need a new Secty/Treasurer  (Read 9748 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Primarily due to health issues, and some other things, I have tendered a 30 day notice of resignation to the Board of Directors this morning.

If you are computer literate and would be interested in this position, please contact your District Director or the President, Jean Ribbeck.

Thank you

Susan Mouw
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Michelle Muldowney-Stevens

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
It should also be mentioned that board members are not allowed to be a member of the Ameraucana Alliance as many of us that have offered to help in the past are.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Yes, that was voted on by the membership, as any change to our Constitution requires, in the 2016 election.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
With April 1st being Monday, and your surgeries coming up quickly, who will the new Secretary/Treasurer be?

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
I have emailed the Board and let them know I won't leave them in the lurch, but I'm sure an announcement is coming any day.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
I find it interesting that after I asked this question yesterday, an email went out to some (me NOT being one of them) ABC membership in search of a new secretary, just 2 days before you step down. Not only does this negligence leave the club in a bad position, it's also taking no consideration for your serious health issues. "You are receiving this email, because you have an active membership in the Ameraucana Breeders Club." It sounds like all active members should have received this email? I'm not sure why it ended up being selective. You posted your resignation a month ago. Why did this email not go out sooner and why were active ABC members left off this mass membership email? I know at least one member, who was very dedicated to this club, expressed interest in the position and was shot down. Many of us who were loyal for years and would have been more than happy to step up and take on a board position just 6 months ago, have since been chased off by club actions and no longer qualify due to new membership in the other club. I hope that changes are made in the future or the club will continue to lose members. The club needs to focus on the breed and members. Without those two things, what good is a club?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 02:23:25 PM by Michelle Muldowney-Stevens »

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
You did not receive the email, because by your own statements, you would not qualify for the position because of your membership in another club. Junior members also did not receive it, nor others that had already been eliminated as candidates.

Your concern for my "serious health issues" is touching.

But don't worry, my time is coming to an end. Don't put the candles out on that celebration cake yet.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 03:10:30 PM by Susan Mouw »
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
I would also like to add there have been plenty of other notices:  on this forum, on our FB page, and in the bulletin, so there was no "negligence", nor would you be aware of the other searches we have done over the last 4 weeks.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
I do think you have serious health issues that have impacted your duties within the club. I would not wish your current situation on anyone. I feel for your family and friends during this time as I'm sure your upcoming surgery is causing astronomical levels of stress to you and them both.

I'm not sure what you meant by "Keep it up Michelle... Your vigilance is actually making us stronger." If you mean my posts about rosettes due to members, meet points incorrectly entered, comments of support to members that are trying to help, questions on submitting meet points, then yes, I'd agree that type of participation on the forum does help to make the club stronger but I'm pretty sure that was just a nasty, sarcastic remark and that's why you edited it.

If I wanted to see this club burn to the ground I wouldn't continue to request meets or comment on this forum. I do think there needs to be changes and issues I've brought up are important to retain members.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
I do think you have serious health issues that have impacted your duties within the club. I would not wish your current situation on anyone. I feel for your family and friends during this time as I'm sure your upcoming surgery is causing astronomical levels of stress to you and them both.

No question that my current abilities and strength are not what they have been in the past.  As far as the stress, what causes more stress to me, as well as to my family members, is seeing my character and integrity attacked.  And, no, I'm not worried about this surgery for I know in Who's Hands I rest.

Yes, I changed my post, although I'd be happy to back up what I said.  Our likes on our FB page are up, and getting close 2.5K for the first time in its history.  Post engagements are up, as well.  New members apps are at pace with previous years.  Any organization that has annual membership, with all memberships expiring on the same day (12/31 for the ABC), will experience a drop in membership when renewals are not made, then grow again during the year.  At at least one point during the past 4 years, our membership has reached a high of 402 active members.  It's cyclical and the graphs that I have provided this Board of Directors confirm that.

As to your comment about meet points - the truth is, Michelle, the Junior points for the Utah show should never have been awarded.  Our meet policy states that meet reports received after 30 days will not qualify for either rosettes or points, yet I went to bat for you and got both of those - even though the meet report was not received for nearly a year after the meet.  Yes, I make mistakes - I'm human, but when notified there is an error, I get it fixed.  Please remember that this position, as well as all the positions on this Board, are voluntary.  We give up our time, our resources, our energy, and extend our loyalty and dedication to this club because we care about this breed and this Club.

There have been just under 250 rosettes ordered and sent out - over the last 4 years - and just under 150 ordered and sent out earlier this month and that does not count all the plaques, trophies, cash awards, auction donations, and all the other things this Club has sponsored and dedicated to its members. 

And yes, I was being sarcastic yesterday and that was inappropriate, which is why I edited my own post.  But I'm not being sarcastic now.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Yes, I know. You've made a point on multiple posts and private emails to remind me how you did me a favor by accepting the UT junior show reports but you've failed to share the background. The truth is I contacted you back in January of 2018, before I even held a meet, asking for clarification on how junior meets were run. Due to my experience at the ABC Nationals in 2016, where no junior meet reports were submitted despite at least 1 junior Ameraucana exhibitor present, I was under the impression that there had to be a certain number of exhibitors to have a junior meet.  As I mentioned in January of 2018, many shows out here enter juniors in both the open and junior classes, and I wasn't sure if I was allowed to submit a junior meet report when the juniors would also be on the open show reports. Your response did nothing to clarify this so I went on not submitting junior reports just as it had been done for the Nationals. It wasn't until earlier this year that I learned that the number of juniors didn't matter and that I could submit both open and junior show reports which I submitted immediately upon finding this out. All of my open show reports were submitted immediately after the shows, all well within 30 days. It was only the juniors that were submitted later (less than a year late) due to the confusion. I know Temple had been tracking down show reports that were YEARS old and those were utter neglect by the club secretaries or members who had requested them. You yourself made a post on March 23rd, 2019 looking for meet reports. Some of those were more than a year old. While I appreciate it, as do the junior members who were at the UT shows, I do not understand why it was such a huge deal for you to accept UT junior meet reports that were less than a year old considering the circumstances surrounding them.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
but you've failed to share the background. ....Your response did nothing to clarify this so I went on not submitting junior reports just as it had been done for the Nationals.

Those two statements say it all, Michelle.  It seems nothing I can do, or nothing I have done, has been enough to satisfy you, so there is no need for me to post further.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Mindy Waters

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Did you find someone for this position yet? I was considering applying, but I am also an Alliance member and I do not wish to leave that club, as I have been mentored a lot by its members and would like to remain a member of both clubs. I know people that raise other breeds that hold positions in one breed club, while being a member of the other club for their breed. Some of those clubs were also formed out of disagreements between board members and that manage to allow this, so I am wondering why it's different in our case? As long as the person chosen has integrity and is ethical, I don't understand why there would be a conflict of interest. Aren't we all trying to better and promote the breed we love?

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Mindy, they are still working on finding the perfect candidate, hopefully soon.

The limit on Board Members was discussed at length before it was finally proposed for membership vote.  There were several board members who did Not want this to be a requirement. Unfortunately when if was determined that the other club already had that requirement, the vote ended as it stands now.   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
A viable candidate, with the skills necessary, has been found and Jean Ribbeck has nominated this candidate to the Board.  We are now waiting for a Board vote.

Hopefully, we will be making an announcement soon.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm