Author Topic: Exhibition Age for Ameraucanas  (Read 2865 times)

Mitchell Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Exhibition Age for Ameraucanas
« on: March 12, 2019, 09:29:27 PM »
I was wondering the age everyone tries to have their birds (pullets and cockrells mainly) at for shows. I realize different birds mature at different rates, but generally what ages do you aim for when planning out your show schedule for the upcoming year. We are currently raising BBS large fowl and are looking forward to showing in the near future.

Thanks

Mitch and Tiffany Taylor

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Exhibition Age for Ameraucanas
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 09:37:33 PM »
Mitch and Tiffany, the preferred age for a pullet is just as she lays her first egg, her feather should be really nice and complete at that point. You are right in that families mature at different rates. Feed and season will also change the progression as well as any stress factors, heat, fighting.....  Touch base with the breeder your stock came from. They might have some sage advice with their experience in their line.  I would venture that with bantams 5-6 months if hatched in about march-may.  LF will often take 8 months for pullets and for males, well probably closer to a year.  But obviously you can't just hatch one sex when you need them, so you have to kind of go with a middle ground I guess.  I am sure some others will join in and give you more info on their experience as well. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Exhibition Age for Ameraucanas
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 12:31:07 AM »
Mitch and Tiffany,
I like for my large fowl pullets and cockerels to be at least 9-10 months old, and preferably closer to 1 year old, for showing. It usually takes cockerels longer than pullets to fill in completely, especially in their tails, which is why the older age is preferred.
Joshua 24:15