Author Topic: Self Blue Ameraucana Bantam Approval Process  (Read 11064 times)

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Self Blue Ameraucana Bantam Approval Process
« on: March 28, 2019, 12:21:02 PM »
Hello all,

I wanted to start a new thread to document the efforts for having the self blue color variety recognized in bantams. We are currently in the midst of our effort to have large fowl self blue Ameraucanas approved, and the bantam effort will have to be pursued separately.

For anyone that is interested in participating in having self blue Ameraucana bantams approved as a recognized color variety, please refer to the following documents to familiarize yourself with the process. 

We would have to pursue the efforts separately or simultaneously with the APA and ABA. They are two separate entities.

Our contact person for the APA would be Bart Pals.

Our contact person for the ABA would be Jeff Halbach.

I have gathered a list of self blue bantam breeders to contact regarding the process. If you are currently working with self blue bantams but your information is not up to date in the breeders directory, please contact me at 22wareagle22@gmail.com.
Joshua 24:15

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Re: Self Blue Ameraucana Bantam Approval Process
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 05:20:50 PM »
I have all the entries of self-blue bantams, from ABC meets, going back to 2012 and who exhibited them.

When the Board gives the go-ahead on this project, I will forward that info to whoever is spearheading the project.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 07:06:15 PM »
Susan, do any shows indicate that there were enough bantams exhibited to provide for one of the "PreQualifying" meets for the APA ?    I have not re-read the requirements from the ABA, but would that historical information help with anything else for the recognition process?   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 07:15:05 PM »
Don, I did the same type of report for the LF self-blues when we started that project and submitted those findings to Walt.  Unfortunately, the numbers were not sufficient in self-blue LF to avoid the pre-qualifying meets and they are even less in the bantams.

When this project kicks off officially, I'm afraid we will have to go through the 2 years of pre-qualifying meets for the APA, at least.  I haven't read through the requirements for ABA in a while, but if I remember correctly, it is a much shorter and simpler process.  I remember thinking that we could actually approach the ABA, after the APA pre-qualifying meets are complete - possibly even after the first APA Qualifying meet, but that might be pushing our luck a bit.

Fortunately, we won't have to re-write the Standard, as it is already written and should be the same for bantams, in both APA and ABA, as it currently stands for LF.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 07:35:51 PM »
You are right, I am sure that we don't have the 5yr Breeder Members required for the APA.  And I expect that we will have to organize and encourage any gathering of Bantams in this color that might suit the APA requirements.  But we can see who has them and when they became APA/ABA members so we can start the process and the clock to get things moving. In order to get there we have to start. 

If the ABA process is manageable and will actually work, then I would think it would be smart to have the bantams accepted by them. At least then they can be shown and compete with the other varieties. Most shows of any size hold both ABA and APA meets.  But As it stands now, When the SB LF are accepted this fall, the bantam breeders are still on the side lines. 
Don Cash

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »
Was any follow up ever done with self blue bantam breeders after it was discussed to do so at the ABC National last year? If so, I can add that info to what I have gathered thus far.

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 08:30:12 PM »
No.  It was voted that the next project would be self-blue bantams, but this project is not yet complete and there were other things that were higher priority.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 11:16:33 AM »
 It is a possibility that Ft. Worth show in 2018 may have met the 4, 4, 4, 4 requirement, but no paperwork!  I remember Howard Story showed a lot of self blue bantams.

The first requirement will be to identify a minimum of 5 people who have bred self blue bantams for a  minimum of 5 years and maintained an APA membership for all 5 years.  Then each one will need to sign an affidavit verifying that they are an APA member and raised the SB bantams for at least 5 years while maintaining an APA membership.

Once the ABC has this, the club will need to file a petition with the APA for recognition of the SB bantams and pay fee.  Then there will have to be two pre-qualifying meet of
4, 4, 4, 4 (four head in each class of C, H, K, P) if the ABC records cannot prove that there has been some shows with those minimum requirements.  There pre-qualifying meets can be at any APA show.  They must be one year apart and completed in two years after the petition was filed.  The two qualifying meets must be at an APA district show first, then at the assigned APA national show the last step.  Most district APA directors will be at the national meet and they have the final approval.

Each judge will need to sign paper work verifying the 16 head and his/her approval of the variety recognition of the two pre-qualifying meets.  There is more paper work for the qualifying two meets.  This is a challenging and fun process.  I had the privilege of being on the team with the large fowl.  I do not know the process for the ABA, but it should be very similar.  I know that it is recommended by the APA to file for recognition with both clubs ABA and APA at the same time.
Paul Smith

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 01:53:31 PM »
I had previously contacted enough bantam breeders back when Susan and I were starting the LF SB process to present to the Board.  We had the numbers of breeders, just not enough being shown.  I will have to check my notes.

Howard has only been showing pullets and hens.  So the numbers are not there.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:51:50 PM by Jean »
Jean

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 03:51:36 PM »
Susan, do any shows indicate that there were enough bantams exhibited to provide for one of the "PreQualifying" meets for the APA ?    I have not re-read the requirements from the ABA, but would that historical information help with anything else for the recognition process?   

Don, I'll be happy to do that research at some point in the future.  Right now, with my surgery scheduled, APA and ABA yearbook ads due, and everything else I have on my plate, this just is not a priority.  I have just gotten home from spending yet another afternoon at the Drs.

Timing is everything.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 05:46:14 PM »
Susan, you need to focus on your health right now.  Don't worry about the club at all.
Once the research is done with the Bantam breeders we will see where we stand and begin from there. 

As I stated, we have never had the numbers shown in bantams (unless the show which Paul mentioned was sufficient for one of the prequalifying meets.) We will try to work on encouraging people to congregate at a show sometime in the future to see if we can start to have them make a presence suitable for those requirments.

The board can vote about what it thinks it wants to do once we have a status of breeder/members and durations.       
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 05:30:56 AM by Don »
Don Cash

Michelle Muldowney-Stevens

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 10:20:10 AM »
I'm glad there are members that are stepping up to take this on. Thanks, Lindsey, Paul & Don! Susan, we all know that you need to be focusing on your health right now. I'm sad and surprised to hear you still have so much on your plate with everything going on with you outside of the club. No one fault you for putting your health first. As always, I'm willing to help the club out but I am an AA member so I know I can only do so much per the constitution.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 10:56:43 AM by Michelle Muldowney-Stevens »

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 11:15:43 AM »
(unless the show which Paul mentioned was sufficient for one of the prequalifying meets.)

Even if the numbers were there, which they aren't, it would not fill in as one of the pre-qualifying meets, as those are set by the APA after the petition has been filed.  The only thing the numbers for the last five years will give us is a "pass" to skip the pre-qualifying meets and go right into the qualifying meets.  And those numbers are not there.

As I've said before, this will be a minimum of 4 year project and could very well go into 5, if we even have enough members with APA members status for 5+ years that have been breeding the self-blue bantams for that same 5+ years to start the petition.
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 09:37:45 PM »
Gordon and Don,

I followed up with the self blue bantam breeders like we discussed. There were around two dozen on the list. Some are still working with them and others have moved on to other projects. I located one or two additional breeders. I will compile an updated list with each breeders name, their length of time working with the self blue bantams, the current status of their APA and ABA memberships, and the length of consecutive years in those clubs. I will give the last few on the list a couple more weeks to respond, and then will forward the info on. It is always good to have updated info on hand. Take care!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:43:11 PM by Lindsay Helton »

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 09:54:46 PM »
Sounds Great Lindsay.  I hope we have a more mature list of breeders working with the bantam variety than we orginally thought.  Thank You for your help with this effort.  I hope you also decide to get into the color to help  as well.   
Don Cash