Author Topic: Self Blue Ameraucana Bantam Approval Process  (Read 11068 times)

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Self Blue Ameraucana Bantam Approval Process
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 08:51:03 AM »
You’re welcome! I will plan on trying to get some in the fall!  :)
Joshua 24:15

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »
Just thinking through the next steps, As I understand it the Pre-Qualifying meets required for the SB LF were required because we did not have a record that the numbers were shown in the previous two years. So we not only need to get the bantams out to the shows, but we need to get the numbers to a couple of shows so we can send the certificates with any Application.  It would be great if we could energize some of the breeders to do this at the Columbus show along side Paul's SB LF Qualifying exhibits. As Paul suggested, Even if they didn't count as the certificates, they would still promote the color in bantams and maybe encourage some folks to raise and help with this variety. 

It's great in my mind to see people encouraged in the color.  Now who wants to take on the Splash variety in LF and bantam? 

(And sounds like we need to follow up with the Judges to get their impressions of the class, not only for our feedback, but to encourage them to have a good response when the Std Committee's contact them at a later time.  I know Paul was ableto follow up the judge at Shawnee to do this)

APA Application process/ 
c.  Certificates showing four (4) or more specimens have been exhibited in each
class of cocks, hens, cockerels and pullets in each of the preceding two years
at a show officiated by a licensed A.P.A. judge. The Standard Committee
shall contact the judge for his or her confidential opinion of the quality and
uniformity.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:46:53 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Michelle Muldowney-Stevens

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 11:10:14 AM »
We're too far to get to qualifying meets but I know Janet Tipton has some bantam self blues. I just added bantam blacks and was going to add bantam whites but if it will help to add self blues, I can do that. I'm just not sure how much it helps with us being out here in UT. If we can get the 4-4-4-4, will that help? This would be my first yr working with the variety but I think Athena or I have been ABA members since 2017. I've always LOVED splash though I do not have an LF splash at this time.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 09:52:41 PM »
At this point it appears that we have a few APA Breeder/members for the self blue bantams that are five years and several more that are about 3 years at this stage. We will need to show two large entry shows of SB bantams within 2 years prior to the APA application for the bantam color variety. If we can start the ABA process and have their two shows to exhibit the bantams for approval soon, then we can use those shows for the "pre-qualifying" shows for the APA application.

The first goal is to get the bantams out in the show halls in numbers. If we coordinate our efforts and have a large showing of SB bantams at Columbus, we can meet this criteria and let people see the color in both sizes. Hopefully get some others interested in the Breed and color too. 

One question regarding the standard, I remember the discussion that the ABA/APA would not accept the other's exact Standard language because of copyright issues. So the proposed standard needs to be changed to make it acceptable for the ABA.  I am sure we can work with some different language and get Jeff Halback's help in making this suitable for their committee.
Don Cash

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 05:56:14 PM »
It's great that the LF Self Blue has worked thru the acceptance process. If all goes as planned the APA board will vote at the Pearl River Miss. show to include them as the next color of LF Ameraucanas. Then the standard for this color will be included on the addenda sheet with every standard that is mailed out. So with luck this color in LF will be able to compete with the other 8 standard colors later this spring. 

We had 14 bantam Self Blues entered at the Knoxville show last month. But we need to coordinate more shows with greater numbers to show the breeders are active with the colors.  I would hope that we can push to have a good number at the 2020 ABC National in Norman OK this fall. We might also try to find a convenient place to have another showing in the eastern part of the country. I would encourage Anyone who is interested in helping with this effort to arrange to get some stock or eggs soon.  Please let me know if you are interested. We can help to find someone close to your location perhaps and get things moving.   Don Cash  drccash@yahoo.com
Don Cash

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 08:05:14 PM »
I should have mentioned also that we only had one Splash entry at the Knoxville show. It was a very nice bantam pullet and I am sure could be put to good use to create more blues. The requirement for acceptance in both the ABA and APA requires greater numbers be shown.  I've seen where some of the Blue breeders treat them as culls and sell them off soon after hatch. So you would hope that would help spread the blue and splash varieties around a bit more. Jerry mentioned that he had been working with them for many years. Anyone else by chance?   
Don Cash

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 05:50:44 PM »
I have had Self-Blue Bantams since 2011 and meet the APA membership requirement. I'll gladly help.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 07:28:27 PM »
Thanks Aaron. Paul mentioned your name and willingness to help. I think Lindsay said we had enough to get the required 5 breeder documents.  Hopefully more news will come soon. Stay tuned.   
Thanks!    drc   
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 07:30:21 PM by Don »
Don Cash

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »
Aaron and Paul,  I have a breeder in TX who is trying to find some Self Blue Bantam stock locally.  Do you know of others in the state or surrounding area that are working with the bantam variety now?   Thanks!   drc 
Don Cash

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 09:26:56 PM »
Thanks Paul and Aaron for the emails. Hopefully this will work out for this breeder to get some Self Blue Bantam stock sometime this season thru one of the contacts you provided. But please keep an eye out for others in that part of the country who might want to create a good showing at the Norman OK National this season. At the very least it would make an eye catching class of the variety and hopefully interest some others in working with the color in bantam as well.

Don Cash