Author Topic: Story of an unfortunate incident!  (Read 4223 times)

Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Story of an unfortunate incident!
« on: March 22, 2019, 08:22:07 AM »
      I want to come to the Ameraucana Breeders Club members and kindly ask on behalf of Hannah and Colton Brush for your kindness and possibly donating any birds, chicks or eggs to these 2 young breeders, or whatever your heart desires!    These two are part of the future of this breed!
     It has come to my attention a few weeks ago, that a weasel killed over 90% of their birds.  This is the second time in less than 2 years this has happened to them! They are struggling, but not ready to give up.
     Their father Eric had reconstructed the barn from the last event and had even put metal al around the sides of the pens approximately 1 foot up on the walls, but yet the weasel chewed through a 2x4 and managed to kill most of their birds in 1 night.   The next plan is in place already! He is going to place 1/2 x 1/2 inch wire on the walls along with placing boards over the wire as well.  In hopes this will stop. 
      They do not want to give up, it has been discussed about quitting, but they don’t want to give up, they love the birds and breeding them. They said NEVER.   And their parents ,Eric and Sarah are supporting them 100 %.
      So if there is anything that you can donate to these two, we know it would be greatly appreciated.
      We will be donating eggs, and possibly chicks, or whatever we can provide them with, we will help them any way that we can.   Their address is   Hannah and Colton Brush. 1471 Riley Rd,   Large, OH 43332
                                                                                                Thank you 
Jeffery and Cheryl Vance

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Story of an unfortunate incident!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:22:11 AM »
Jeff and Sherry,  I am sorry to hear about this happening again. We were lucky to meet them at the National in Ohio this past fall.  I am sure that people will be happy to help get them back started with some stock for this summer or fall.  Can you ask them to put together a preference list of varieties?  I hope they have good luck getting the barn protected again. I've heard that weasels are Very difficult to capture and control.  I wish them the best.     drc
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 07:28:14 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this. Please let us all know what color varieties they were raising or are interested in raising, and whether they prefer large fowl or bantam.
Joshua 24:15

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:21:42 PM »
So sorry to hear of your loss of birds to weasels. I had a run in with them last fall to the extent of 50 birds. I never could catch them but securing the wire portions and doors has stopped them, only to now be battling the raccoons. As Don and Lindsay suggested, please give a list of varieties you would like to start rebuilding bloodlines.
Gordon Gilliam

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 12:24:21 PM »
Sorry to hear.
Paul Smith

Hannah Brush

• Junior Master Exhibitor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 03:24:31 PM »
Thank you for all of your support! As Jeff and Sherry said it has not been easy the last couple of years trying to get rid of these rodents, and unfortunately we are having to start all over once again. We would willing to accept anything but would like to stay along the lines of blue, black, splash and white LF or bantam.
--Hannah

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 11:47:09 AM »
Does anyone have an update for the progress of recovery for the Brush Family? 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9