The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Housing, Health & Hatching

New pens

<< < (2/3) > >>

Kelly Gore:
Thanks Don! I don't want to close the coops completely, but want to make sure they are warm enough. I have been told it snows quite frequently (we will be at 5600') but rarely stays around for more than a day or 2. Any input from folks that live in the north?

Birdcrazy:
Kelly, I live in Nebraska between Omaha and Lincoln. The last three years our winter weather has been less cold. I believe last winter the coldest spell we had was -12 degrees or so. In the past we have had temps in the -20 to -25 degree range with wind chills -40 or more. My experience with raising poultry in these conditions is it is amazing the resiliency of the birds to survive under these conditions. As long as they have a shelter out of the draft (I do provide some air movement by vents for circulation) they seem to do fine. If they have access to outside pens it is quite common to see them basking in the sun even on some of the coldest days. If we have a long cold spell with temps way below zero at night and daytime temps in single digits for say 7-10 days in a row, usually any casualties are my real old breeders or the bantams. These are the ones you might need to give extra care. Making sure they have plenty of food and water can go a long way towards survival. I know getting out 2 times a day in -20 degree weather, breaking ice or rotating water containers isn't real fun. I guess that is the price you pay raising poultry in the colder climates.

Predators can drive poultry lovers crazy. You get a handle on a break in and maybe go 2-3 years and are on easy street then here comes another onslaught. Probably a different vermin than the last time. Around here we have raccoons, mink, weasels, skunks, possums, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, owls, hawks, and a neighbors dog to mention a few. We have had a few mountain lion sightings within 10 miles the last 10 years. So far they have not been a big problem with poultry, more with cattle. Thank goodness for that! I wouldn't begin to know where to start on keeping them out! My biggest problem has been raccoons, mink and weasels. Until recently break ins were confined to my 2 chicken houses, racoons killing the LF on the floor and mink or weasels the bantams in cages. I had been building houses 4 feet off the ground with runs made of 1 inch poultry netting sides and roof. These worked great for 10 years with no problems. After I took the remaining birds out of the chicken houses , I have had 2 breaking in the pens off the ground. Raccoons tore through the poultry netting and cleaned out all of the chickens in the little buildings. For now I have been shutting birds in the buildings at night until I figure how to reinforce the poultry netting runs. This has stopped my losses for a few months now. It seems like a never ending battle. Raccoons are fairly easy to catch in live traps, but mink and weasels are very hard to catch. Sometimes they move on and you never catch one, but the damage is already done. Trial and error, just when you think you've won, something attacks from a different angle!

Ok, all the negative for now. HAPPINESS/ watching the newly hatched chicks in the brooder. Watching them grow out. Taking them to a show. See the other Ameraucana birds represented at the show! Meeting old friends and making new Ameraucana breeder friends. Getting on the ABC Forum and hearing from other ABC members. Greeting new ABC members as they join the club!

Good luck Kelly on your move this October and the start of your new flock! I will be in Boomington, Illinois Oct 5, 2019 for the North Central ABC District Meet. Another HAPPY TIME watching those Ameraucana Trophies being handed out! Gordon Gilliam

Kelly Gore:
Thank you Gordon! I cannot wait to get going with my new flock! (And to get out of the Phoenix heat!) It is so beautiful out there with trees and everything. We don't have many of those here. I learned a lot with breeding the last 3 years. Still have all my notes and records of my successes and failures. Looking forward to hearing the little peeps and the cockerels singing in the morning.

Good luck at the meet in October! Keep us posted please, I am living vicariously through you right now!

Don:
Kelly, I'm sure you are enjoying the beautiful seasons in your new homestead. I came across some different info about housing helping another member and thought of your question. Many of the universities offer old images of housing that might give you some ideas. And there is a book being reprinted about open air housing that may help too with various house types too.  Good luck and have a Great Holiday season in your new home.

https://ag.tennessee.edu/BESS/Extension/ExtPubs/Plans/6195.pdf

https://ag.tennessee.edu/BESS/Extension/ExtPubs/Plans/6232.pdf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fresh-Air-Poultry-Houses-The-Classic-Guide-to-Open-Front-Chicken-Coops-for/392580377435?epid=71651761&hash=item5b679d2b5b:m:mVyRcla5aYeHuf4IWMd-ljg

Don:
https://books.google.com/books?id=tMJJAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA4-PA3&lpg=RA4-PA3&dq=poultry+conditioning+books&source=bl&ots=NaRHqWHNu6&sig=ACfU3U2qry9LCFMhqpKgQqGlHmV6YU7iLw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrzZLz3c7mAhXbLc0KHW8QCQIQ6AEwEnoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=poultry%20conditioning%20books&f=false

And there are a number of old publications archived by libraries that are searchable as well.  Their products may not be available, look at the prices, but they illustrate a lot of old methods and techniques as well as equipment and buildings.  They are really fun to read and thumb thru the monthly issues.  Notice all the adds for breeders and their wins at Madison square garden.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version