Author Topic: Brown red bantams  (Read 4582 times)

Husker2055

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Brown red bantams
« on: July 10, 2019, 04:59:51 PM »
Hello !

We are considering making a few brown red bantams available this fall / winter after show season for us.
If your interested and want more info contact me at 918-577-8803.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Brown red bantams
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:58:40 AM »
I am sure there are folks looking for the BR variety. If I had room and lived close, I'd take some for our flock.  Keep me posted if you don't place them please. The key is to get them secure as a variety and make sure they have promotion at shows around different parts of the country.  Thanks!   drc

What do you see as challenges for the variety and how they compare to other varieites that you raise?
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Husker2055

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 01:34:06 PM »
Don,

I will definitely keep you posted. The challenges I’ve seen are fertility, hatching and color. These seem to be 10Xs harder than any other variety. I believe they are the most difficult. Folks that want to partake in this variety are up for a challenge. I’ve learned this the hard way but sometimes the greatest rewards come with the toughest challenges.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 10:03:32 AM »
It is a "party color" variety so I am sure trying to the get right amount of lacing and general color balance is an issue.  Same issue as with Grey Japs etc.  I wonder why the fertility and hatchiblity issues though.  Maybe very tight gene pool?  What is the best go to variety if you need to introduce new blood?

Are you planning any trips east this fall or winter where someone might be able to meet?   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Husker2055

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 08:53:24 AM »
No I’m sorry we aren’t planning on any trips east. I haven’t tried to introduce a new variety yet.