Author Topic: Poultry Genetics Books  (Read 2469 times)

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Poultry Genetics Books
« on: August 21, 2019, 03:42:35 PM »
I wanted to pass along the name of this poultry genetics book for any one that is interested in increasing their knowledge of poultry genetics. It is written on a fairly beginner level which is always nice! It is actually on sale on Amazon right now. Brian has a gift for being able to explain things in layman terms. He has been helpful to me in years past when I have reached out to ask him poultry genetics questions. If you have any favorite poultry books or genetic websites please share!

https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Color-Forms-Domestic-Fowl/dp/1425904211/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=brian+reeder&qid=1566415719&s=gateway&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:55:23 PM by Lindsay Helton »
Joshua 24:15

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Poultry Genetics Books
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 10:46:37 PM »
I've not seen the book that Lindsay suggested, but I have heard some good things about it.  One from several years ago, a predecesor and referenced in the Reeder book is Fred Jeffery's "Bantam Chickens".  This book was listed for sale by the ABA and it's currently out of print. I think the ABA is working toward a new printing. I have a couple of copies of this one if anyone is interested in taking a look. It is valuable for the basic genetics of colors, breeds and breeders that discuss the methods they've used to create and correct various colors.  It has a half dozen illustrations showing the color families and how they are modified using additional color genes. 

Don Cash
Matthew 4:9