Author Topic: I need 4 hens  (Read 2511 times)

I need 4 hens
« on: September 14, 2006, 05:34:40 PM »
A fox recently got 4 of my hens.  I only have two left and I am concerned that they will not be able to keep themselves warm in the coop this winter.  Also, they appear to be lonely.

I live in Sergentsville, NJ and would be willing to drive to Southeastern PA, anyplace in New Jersey, Northern Deleware or Southern New York to pick them up.  I am not looking for show quality hens, just good blue egg layers to keep my two sweetharts warm this winter and to be well loved.

I had thought about getting chicks, but I am concerned that they will not be large enough to survive the winter weather. Is this a valid concern?

Or, do you know of any place that is selling pullets this time of year?

Any help you can give would be most appreciated.

I need 4 hens
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 05:42:29 PM »
If you can not find birds use a heat lamp. When the temperature gets close to zero I turn on the heat lamp.

Tim

I need 4 hens
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 05:46:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I was going to use a 100 watt bulb, but the heat lamp would be most effective!

John

I need 4 hens
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 05:57:22 PM »
survive the winter weather

As long as they are inside, without any drafts, Ameraucanas should survive your NJ winters.
Old English bantams and some other breeds would be a problem.

Mike Gilbert

I need 4 hens
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 08:14:19 PM »
Try Larry Clionsky.   He is our Northeastern District Director and raised a bunch this year.   I believe you can contact him by clicking on the officers and directors link.   Or go to the breeders directory which is located under the FAQ link.   I think Larry should be able to help you;   he is in Pennsylvania.