Author Topic: Self-Blue Final Qualifying meet - Ohio Nationals  (Read 3069 times)

Susan Mouw

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
    • Sand Castles Farm
Self-Blue Final Qualifying meet - Ohio Nationals
« on: November 09, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
From Lindsay Helton, at the Ohio National, just a few minutes ago:
"The final qualifying meet for the self blue Ameraucana color variety is being held today at the Ohio National poultry show. 42 self blues are on hand for the occasion and have been entered by 10 exhibitors including (in order of exhibitor number) Pat Dukes, Barbara Dodington, Susan Mouw, Lindsay Helton, Jean Ribbeck, Paul and Angela Smith, Eric Waterman, Shannon Rowe, Chris Cross, and Dakota’s Chickens. Good luck to everyone showing today! We are hopeful that the variety will become officially approved today!"
Susan Mouw
Sand Castles Farm
http://www.sandcastlesfarm.com

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Blue Final Qualifying meet - Ohio Nationals
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 09:58:34 PM »
 Great news, we had 10 APA members (needed 5) to show 6 cocks, 10 hens, 10 cockerels and 16 pullets for a total of 42 head.  We needed at least 5 in each class and an additional 5 for a minimum of 25 head.
The judge Tom Carey, Bart Pals, standard committee chairman and John Monaco, APA president, all commented how good the type was on all the self blue Ameraucanas and how much they have improved.  Color still off on the males and a few of the females.  However, the consensus was that they will be approved at the semi annual meeting the last weekend in January at the Pearl River show in Mississippi.  The APA board will be voting on both the self blue Ameraucana and black Maran.  There was a glitch in both clubs paper work to have the vote take place at Columbus, so we wait in suspense until the final say so!

It has been a fun but trying experience the past five years in getting the self blue recognized.  I was presented a commemorative award by Lindsay Helton for all the effort of getting the self blue Ameraucana recognized.  It is much appreciated!  Having been through the recognition process makes one appreciate the recognized varieties within the breed even more!

The ten (in exhibitor order) who made the self blue recognition possible are Patricia Dukes, Barbara Dodington, Susan Mouw, Lindsay Helton, Jean Ribbeck, Paul & Angela Smith, Eric Waterman, Shannon Rowe, Chris Cross, and Dakota's Chickens.  A special thanks to Lindsay Helton who kept count of each class and promoted the show, getting commitments to make sure we could and would meet the numbers required for the meet.  Also a special thanks to Shannon Rowe who took on the responsibility of bringing and showing birds for three other exhibitors from Texas.  We would not have met the minimum required numbers without this special  help from both Shannon and Lindsay!
Also a special thanks to Barbara Dodington who came from Canada, bearing all the extra expenses of crossing country borders!  Thanks to all 10 exhibitors!  This is a group effort that the whole Ameraucana breed will benefit from.  I'm eager to see a Self Blue Ameraucana on Champion Row!

Now for the 5 placings in each class!

Cocks 1 Patricia Dukes, 2 Dakota's Chickens, 3 Paul & Angela Smith, 4 Chris Cross, 5 Paul & Angela Smith

Hens 1 Jean Ribbeck, 2 Lindsay Helton, 3 Lindsay Helton, 4 Paul & Angela Smith, 5 Paul & Angela Smith

Cockerels 1 Paul & Angela Smith, 2 Lindsay Helton, 3 Shannon Rowe, 4 Lindsay Helton, 5 Lindsay Helton

Pullets 1 Eric Waterman, 2 Lindsay Helton, 3 Lindsay Helton, 4 Lindsay Helton, 5 Patricia Dukes

The best variety was the pullet shown by Eric Waterman, and the Reserve Variety went to a hen shown by Jean Ribbeck.

Sorry, I was so busy that I didn't manage to make any photos of the winning birds.  All my records were given to Jean Ribbeck who is doing a meet report.  Memory says Jerry DeSmidt had BB on a black pullet and Jan Geis M & J Farm had RB on a black cockerel.  There were 101 head of Ameraucana large fowl in the open class.

Paul Smith
Paul Smith

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 09:54:05 AM »
Thank you Paul and Angela for the recap of the weekend.  And thanks to everyone who put forth the effort to breed, raise and show their SBs for this historical event for the Breed.  It will be great next spring when the Self Blue LF can compete with the other varieties. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 04:40:46 PM »
Thanks Paul for the report on the LF Self Blue qualifying meet. Not only that but thank you for taking the lead for the past 5 years to make this a reality. Thanks to all of the exhibitors who brought their entries to fulfill the quota required. Thanks to Lindsay and Shannon for going beyond just showing their birds, but stepped forward with their help to make this a great showing for LF Self Blues. I personally don't raise Self Blues, but with the addition of a new recognized variety, will surely be a source of excitement within the Ameraucana Breed. As Paul mentioned the judges were amazed at the improvement on type since the beginning of this project. This is another reflection of the members we have, not just breeding for numbers, but breeding to improve for the betterment of the breed. Thanks to all who made this not a whisper of hope, but a reality!
Gordon Gilliam

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 05:50:55 PM »
It was a joy to be a part of this historic meet. I enjoyed seeing many old friends and meeting a few new ones. A special thank you to the 10 exhibitors that entered 42 large fowl self blue Ameraucanas to make this self blue qualifying meet a success. Folks travelled a considerable distance to be there and it meant a lot to the ABC. I am pleased that the APA judge voted yes and that so many of the APA board members were complimentary of the progress we have made with this variety. Thanks for all of your hard work Paul. I look forward to the official vote taking place and being able to compete against the other recognized color varieties!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 12:30:40 AM by Lindsay Helton »
Joshua 24:15