Author Topic: 2019 ABC National Recap  (Read 5448 times)

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
2019 ABC National Recap
« on: December 09, 2019, 10:41:34 AM »
The 2019 National is complete and everyone has arrived home safe probably ready for a much needed break.
A much more detailed report will follow. For now I know some have been curious so here is some basic results and info.

In large fowl, Jerry DeSmit won Best Blk, BB, Best AOSB, as well as RB on a black.
Lindsay Helton had best Self blue,
Jeff Vance had best Blue with a nice pullet
Jerry had best and reserve white

Bantam
   there were nice classes in most accepted varieties as well Self blues
Jerry had best Black, BB
Jerry had best white,
Jerry had best buff,
Best and RV self blue was by Temple
Temple Desilva had RB on a nice blue wheaten pullet

The egg contest was nicely represented and provided much interest by those passing the tables. Lindsay judged the egg contest which drew much attention to the club booth.

The auction and raffle were well accepted. $1,000 was pledged from live stock, chick and egg auctions. The live auction items were slow to bid initially. But these picked up nicely in the afternoon. James Treadway built wood carry boxes for the auction and had the booth next to the ABC as well. It was interesting to see bidders ck back often as the time progressed.

Thank you to all of those who offered items and help for the auction. All of the directors as well as all of those who attended the the show worked hard and greatly contributed to the success of this event. I hope that everyone had an enjoyable time and learned lots during the event. I think the breed and the ABC were represented well thru til the very end of the event.

The ABC raffle netted $241.  This included a $100 gift card from TSC, a current APA standard and a 1910 version of the standard.  Folks seem to like the three chances to win on these raffles, and you can net more than the value of items especially if you walk around and talk to the exhibitors.  They don't come to the table asking to purchase tickets as a norm. All of These monies will be used for the 2020 ABC National in Norman OK in the South Central district.  - - -  Paul will have more info to follow soon - - -

We will expand and update this info in the days to come.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:30:33 AM by Don »
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 ABC National Recap
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 03:38:30 PM »
We had a really good group that attended the meet and everyone exhibited birds and most brought eggs for the egg contest.  The egg contest was very much a spectacle for people passing by too.

Those who couldn't make it were missed and you would have enjoyed the time and fellowship too.  Spencer Crouse was there and suggested a local BBQ place for dinner Saturday night. We had a really nice relaxed time visiting. Past APA secretary Pat Horstman kept the party entertained. She shared memories and humorous stories of her time in the hobby. I'm sure a lot of judges felt like someone was talking about them. She shared some of the challenges in getting a new SOP edited and produced. It helped us to appreciate the challenges in putting together all that information. And she pointed out some of the mistakes they high light in older versions to teach new judges about the various breeds. If you haven't talked with her, take a few mins and introduce yourself to her at the shows. I expect she will remember your name from the membership roles.

The Q was great and several enjoyed the all you can eat ribs for a good long while as well. Needless to say, several were slow to get back to the show hall Sunday morning.
Don Cash

Spencer

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 09:48:59 PM »
Had a lot of fun visiting with everyone. I had been to past nationals but was hesitant to socialize as much. Bringing the kid made it all feel down to earth. The family enjoyed it and I got some nice birds to add to my flock.

Food was good and we enjoyed the fellowship. We won't be at nationals next year but we will be back to the Dixie Classic in 2020 and plan to show a few birds.

-Spencer

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »
Lindsay, do you know the amount the raffle netted for the club?

$241
Joshua 24:15

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 02:36:35 PM »
Had a lot of fun visiting with everyone. I had been to past nationals but was hesitant to socialize as much. Bringing the kid made it all feel down to earth. The family enjoyed it and I got some nice birds to add to my flock.

Food was good and we enjoyed the fellowship. We won't be at nationals next year but we will be back to the Dixie Classic in 2020 and plan to show a few birds.

-Spencer

Spencer,

It was so nice to meet your family. I look forward to showing with you guys for years to come.
Joshua 24:15

jwoodhaven

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodhavenpoultry.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 09:51:01 PM »
Don I had best display with the Black LF and reserve Trio  and with the white bantams I had best trio and reserve Display

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 07:50:43 AM »
Thank you Jerry for those calculations. We had several trios entered in black and white. These two colors were well represented as they are at most shows. I hope Spencer will be back with his own displays in both next year too. I look forward to seeing some of the other colors gain representation in future shows.
Don Cash

Spencer

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 02:42:24 PM »
Spencer,

It was so nice to meet your family. I look forward to showing with you guys for years to come.

We enjoyed the trip and visiting with y'all. That show was a much needed vacation for us. We look forwarding to crossing paths in the future!

Thank you Jerry for those calculations. We had several trios entered in black and white. These two colors were well represented as they are at most shows. I hope Spencer will be back with his own displays in both next year too. I look forward to seeing some of the other colors gain representation in future shows.

I'll see what I can do, I'll have something to bring to the Dixie Classic next year for sure.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 07:08:44 AM »
Spencer, I know that it's tough to travel with young ones. But if you can work it out, from your location you are halfway to Oklahoma so I hope you can plan some vacation for the Norman National.  And you can make it over the mountains to the shows to some of the other shows in the South East District too.

I hope everyone has a chance to check out the new poll and make their selection under the Members tab of the forum.  Gordon has this set to run through the holidays.
Don Cash