Author Topic: Splash Ameraucana - language for color description  (Read 2824 times)

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Splash Ameraucana - language for color description
« on: April 27, 2020, 08:51:51 AM »
While everyone is home and hopefully enjoying their new grow outs for the season take a look at your Splash AMs. How would you describe the specific colors for the beaks and legs or what color standard should they be bred? The Splash color pattern is random and the skin color often shows those same patterns 

Beaks often are listed as some form of Horn color. How should the likely variation be written in a standard?

Legs in many varieties are listed as a simple color. With splash the legs sometimes show a mottled color with light/dark spots. This shouldn't be a fault in the judging. Is this something we need to list in the Standard description? 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Splash Ameraucana - language for color description
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 11:37:10 AM »
Good point Don. Most of us stuck at home, what better time to evaluate where we as a club are at in the Splash recognition phase. Many shows cancelled and one can only stare at the incubator and watch grow out pens so much. Paul Smith has agreed to ramrod this project. How many ABC members out there have interest in this project? Let Paul know here on the ABC Forum. Can we do it?
Gordon Gilliam

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 03:25:04 PM »
We should probably start with the input from the 5 APA member/breeders to start. I know Paul, Jerry and jean had said they'd sign the affadavits. Who are the other two?
Don Cash

Penny McDonald

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 02:13:31 PM »
I am definitely interested and will be following the process and progress of getting them approved.  I'm fairly new to the breed but love the splash variety and had planned to show my splash cockeral this year before things were cancelled.  Looking forward watching this play out and will be working on my own splash for showing next year.

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 03:58:58 PM »
While following the path of the Self Blue Recognition procedure that took 5 years to complete, I have came to this conclusion. In my past BBS Breeding program I only kept an exceptional Splash here or there for my Blue program. I set up my breeding pens to have few Splash chicks. Now Penny, here is the interesting thing, you and I are on equal footing. I at the present time do not have any Splash birds. I have set up my breeding pens this year for maximum Splash chicks. I hope to get a few decent grow outs this year to move forward raising more Splash birds. Paul it would be interesting to hear your opinion on the timetable for Splash recognition. The Self Blue program started from square one, whereas breeders have had access to Splash birds for years. What would you estimate fore a timetable for Splash recognition? I know the cloudy coronavirus show cancellations could pose a problem on your forecast!
Gordon Gilliam

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 01:15:59 PM »
Penny, Glad you are interested in seeing them proceed thru the acceptance milestones. The biggest issue is getting the new varieites out to the shows in numbers, both to meet the APA requirements and just to get them noticed. The more people working with them the better and the faster they will improve.

Of course all of us are probably not going to be able to make the 4 Prequalifying and Qualifying meets. I am sure that Paul will keep us updated as the first meet is finalized when things are settled down from the closures. We will be required to have min numbers of each class, Cock, Hen, cockerel and pullet. So everyone will need to carry over Old Birds in order to make this process work. 

Hopefully we will soon see some announcements come out of the   
Don Cash