Author Topic: The price of day old Ameraucana chicks  (Read 1824 times)

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
The price of day old Ameraucana chicks
« on: September 10, 2020, 10:32:22 PM »
Just a quick reminder that you should be able to find Ameraucana chicks from a reputable seller for an affordable price.

Sometimes it may involve being on a waiting list. A lot of breeders have a “hatching season” that runs from Feb-May and then they have started birds and adult birds for sale in the late summer and early fall.

Keep in mind that a high list price is not necessarily indicative of high quality. I recently came across a post where a buyer purchased Ameraucana chicks for $49 each. Many reputable sellers that are breeding their birds towards the standard and actively showing their birds have day old Ameraucana chicks priced at $8-$15 each.

If you are interested in raising good quality birds, familiarize yourself with the breed standard. One way you can do this is by purchasing an American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection book at http://amerpoultryassn.com/sample-page/apa-store/ or by looking around the ABC website.

I made a post about purchasing quality Ameraucanas a while back and included a list of potential questions to ask sellers if quality is important to you. I’ll repost those questions below.

1. What color varieties are you raising?

2. Do you own a copy of the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection book?

3. Are you breeding your birds towards the standard?

4. How do you have your breeding pens set up?

5. Can I see pictures of your breeding stock?

6. Are you showing your birds and having them evaluated by a licensed poultry judge?

7. How are your birds performing in poultry shows?

8. How long have you been a breeder?

9. What are some things you are working on in your pens?

Serious breeders will be able to quickly answer the aforementioned questions.

Hopefully this post will help you as you search for good quality Ameraucanas. Good luck! The Ameraucana Breeders Club Breeder’s Directory is a great place to start your search.

http://www.ameraucanabreedersclub.org/docs/breedersdirectory_state.pdf
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 11:29:40 AM by Lindsay Helton »
Joshua 24:15