Author Topic: Blue breeding program  (Read 2522 times)

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Blue breeding program
« on: October 20, 2020, 07:22:14 PM »
I decided to get back into blues this year. I picked out my blue cockerel keeper and I wanted to share a photo. He came in a box of chicks from Susan this past spring. I am holding onto two really nice blue pullets from the group of chicks as well! Eye color appears a little dark in the first photo but it looks nice in person for his age. Ironically, one of my favorite parts of him is his tight pea comb, but you can't see it very well in that first photo so I included a second photo. I am looking forward to watching him finish out.

I also received a nice package in the mail recently! Thanks for gifting me your flock of large fowl wheaten and blue wheatens in 2017 Susan and for gifting me your best blue breeding pair in 2020. I have enjoyed showing with you across the southeast for the last several years. I’m thankful to call you one of my mentors on the breed and blessed to call you a friend. Thanks for answering so many questions while I was learning the computer processes for the club this year. You have been a big help to me. I look forward to working with the blue variety in the years to come! 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 10:06:50 AM by Lindsay Helton »
Joshua 24:15

Penny McDonald

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re: Blue breeding program
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 11:10:36 AM »
He's very nice!  What age?

I have a blue cockeral that I have my eye on, not near as mature as yours yet, but hopefully finishes out as nice as yours :).  I have 5 blue cockerals to choose from, but so far, there is just one that stands out at this stage.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 06:24:50 PM »
He's very nice!  What age?

I have a blue cockeral that I have my eye on, not near as mature as yours yet, but hopefully finishes out as nice as yours :).  I have 5 blue cockerals to choose from, but so far, there is just one that stands out at this stage.

Thank you Penny! Susan bred him, I just raised him. :) He was a May hatch. He developed faster than his hatch-mates. Usually I like the slow to develop ones best, but this one stood out to me early on because of his prominent breast and how well-balanced he always seemed.

Here is a pic I took of him when he was younger while I was sitting at the barn. 

I am looking forward to seeing your blues!
Joshua 24:15

Penny McDonald

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 01:02:22 PM »
Thanks for that early pic!  I love having early photos and mature photos of the same bird to review.  It helps get a glimpse of the future of my own young birds.  I can see what you mean about the prominant chest - he is a thick boy!