Author Topic: Neck standards in regards to the SOP  (Read 1913 times)

Georgiana Jacobbe

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Neck standards in regards to the SOP
« on: December 11, 2020, 09:15:47 PM »
Hi everyone, first time posting.

I wanted to ask a question about how the neck in Ameraucanas is supposed to look, because the pictures and SOP say one thing while others say another.

The drawings in the SOP make it look as if the neck and body connect at almost a 90 degree angle. While I have heard the same from some breeders, others say that it should be a more smooth transition.

So what is the actual preferred way? A smooth transition or a nice angle?

Here’s a photo of two of my birds, both bred by different breeders who work towards the standard, each showing one of the two ways I’ve heard it preferred.

Georgiana Jacobbe

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re: Neck standards in regards to the SOP
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 09:21:53 PM »
Here’s a photo of my other bird who has the more angular version.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Neck standards in regards to the SOP
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 02:37:51 PM »
Georgiana,  If I understand your question correctly the pose of the neck could be a bit more vertical on the Blue C. I might think that he was in mid stride forcing his head forward in this picture maybe. In a perfect pose his breast would be forward of his head a bit. He could extend his neck a bit more vertical too. This is hard to fully know from a single image and not understanding how relaxed or excited the bird is in a given moment. The images in the APA standard show a fairly thin long neck. This may be a bit deceiving as most AMs have a good wide base of the neck. So the angle at the back of the neck to back would appear more than 90 degrees. Both the descriptons for male and female calls for an arch in the neck. 

The BW is very losely feathered, she may be flustered somewhat here. But if she tightened her feathers it might be easier to see her full type. She doesn't appear to have a back, her hackle ends where her tail upswing starts.

The Standard doesn't say the neck and back should have a smooth transition. I think that goes along with the total package too, same with the back to tail transition. 

Don Cash
Matthew 4:9