Author Topic: 2006 ABC National Meet  (Read 12514 times)

John

2006 ABC National Meet
« on: July 10, 2005, 09:38:33 AM »
ABC members know from the last Bulletin that the Board Of Directors will vote this coming weekend on the location of our 2006 National Meet.
We still have only three offers:
The Crossroads of America, in Indiana,
The Eastern Iowa Poultry Association show, and
The Bay City Poultry Club show, in Michigan.
I will submit a ballot to the Board members, via Email, on the 15th and they have the final word.
Any comments?

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 12:22:11 PM »
I vote for Bay City Michigan!  :p

faith valley

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 02:32:31 PM »
I would suggest the Crossroads of America.

1. Many of the other club National meets will be placed there.  It will be a huge show and we would have the best turn out of members.  
2.IN is centrally located within the US, which would shorten the distance of travel for more members, which would enable more to attend.
3. All the proceeds of the show (after bills) will be donated to the APA/ABA youth program.  I feel that it is very important to support our kids\' program.  The kids will be our poultry breeders in the future.
4. Indianapolis will have a larger selection of hotels I would think- although I have not researched this.
5.The Crossroad\'s show is planning many seminars and activities to take place during the show weekend.  There will be contests for the youth as well as special activities just for them.
6. Being an APA/ABA joint meet with thousands of birds entered is a pretty big reason too.  I would think we would want to be a part of that wonderful show.
~Patty & Caleb~

philipu

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 02:51:50 PM »
Quote from: John
ABC members know from the last Bulletin that the Board Of Directors will vote this coming weekend on the location of our 2006 National Meet.
We still have only three offers:
The Crossroads of America, in Indiana,
The Eastern Iowa Poultry Association show, and
The Bay City Poultry Club show, in Michigan.
I will submit a ballot to the Board members, via Email, on the 15th and they have the final word.
Any comments?

Since I live way out West, of course, none of these are feasible
to me.  
So I ask myself..when I attend shows.

Where are the largest number of the members living?
So a larger number of exhibitors can attend and bring birds.
Because, I like to compare my birds to others of my breed,
and see where I might need improvement.  If I am the only one
showing breed and want to see how my birds stack up to the other exhibitor friends birds( what a disappointment if none or very few.)  It\'s always
fun to be able to exchange breed information with fellow breeders of the breed or breeds one might be showing.

Where would the best facilities be for holding the show?
Accessability to the show area (easiest driving route), parking, motels. RV grounds with hookups.,
I know it makes a difference to me...I hate to arrive and have
difficulty in finding and gaining access to the show.

These are a few of the things I consider where and when I show.
Thanks, I hope its a great success whereever it may be...
Bay City has a really nice website...good job.
thanks, phil

Blue Egg Acres

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 03:43:01 PM »
What are Bay City and EIPA offering?

John

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 05:07:34 PM »
Here is the bid from the EIPA, from last year.  I don\'t know for sure that we will consider it for 2006, because I don\'t think a member has requested that we have our ABC National meet there in 2006.  Duane Urce had requested it for 2005.

The Eastern Iowa Poultry Association is held at an Interstate 80 location near Iowa City at Exit 249, and will be held November 25 & 26, 2005.   The 2003 entry was 1,650 entries.  There is good lighting, plenty of parking, and a lunch stand inside.

The bid is (for 200 birds or more)  for both large and bantam.

Champion:            trophy and $20      for BOTH large and bantam
Reserve                plaque and $10     for both large and bantam
BV\'s (10 or more)                $10        for both large and bantam
Champion Display    $20    large and bantam competing
Reserve Display        $10   large and bantam competing

Also, several months advertising with their Poultry Press ad
All Ameraucanas in a central location
Club table for promotion, etc.

Mike Gilbert

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 05:14:11 PM »
I believe Bay City has the best offer of awards.   Crossroads of America has not come forward with much, as they are depending on state funds, right?    When we have had the national meet at very large shows, like the ABA/APA joint national at Columbus, Ohio, our meet tends to be treated as nothing special.     The smaller shows really appreciate getting a national and go out of their way to make us feel welcome.    No matter where we end up going with our national, I think everyone should attend Crossroads of America just because there will be so much to see.   And we could still do, say, a district meet there if we don\'t do the national.   It might be more enjoyable for us at C of A without having to deal with all the hassle and time it takes on club business at our national.   That\'s my take at the current time, but I could probably be persuaded to vote for any of the three.

John

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 05:19:00 PM »
Besides being Secretary/Tresurer of the ABC I am also Secretary/Tresurer of the Bay City Poultry Club.  It is the annual local show for me, and so again have both requested a bid and submitted it (I even get to vote on it).

This is the offer from the Bay City Poultry Club for your consideration:
We will provide a table and 2 chairs.
We will provide an area for your club meeting.
Your club will have first choice of the judges we hire and your breed(s) will be judged first, provided your breed club is the first to place a national meet with us - first come, first serve.  We may limit the number of national meets placed with us.
Your breed(s) will be given a prominent location in the showroom and if applicable your bantam and large fowl breeds will be placed as near to each other as possible.
Your breed club will receive a full page ad in our Show Catalog.
Your breed club will receive $100, plus $1 per bird entered of your breed(s).
The show will be the second full weekend in October.  For more information go to www.baycitypoultryclub.org

As I recall Wayne Gritter requested the Crossroads of America show.  They really don\'t have much to offer at this point, when it comes to awards.  There are both positive and negative points to consider when having our National at a APA/ABA joint National meet.  We have done it before.
What say you?

faith valley

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 06:01:51 PM »
The crossroads show is in mid November correct?  and the Bay city is in Oct.  Since these shows are only a month apart, do you feel that the Bay City attendance will be affected for the 2006 show?  I know that many of us have to watch gas dollars and since Bay City is so far north,  I wonder if many folks will have to choose between the two shows and not be able to attend both?  I know that my family, personally, would not be able to make both shows.

John, you do make a fine point of saying that a smaller show would s\"how off\" the ABC national meet more,  but would the attendance play a factor? A 1,600 bird show versus a show with the potential for 10,000.  It is just a factor to consider.  and of course Mike makes another fine point of not placing the National at the joint APA/ABA meet so that you are not tied down to meetings and a table at that show. You would be more free to see the other birds, and chat with other breeders.

I feel that the best point was made by Philip though.  A win doesn\'t mean much if you are the only one competing, or if there are only a handful of birds.  but a win in large competition really shows how hard you have worked with your birds, and a win at the Joint APA/ABA would indeed be a solid win.

These are just observations.  I know that when asked where to put our national meet for the NCBA I voted for the Crossroads as it made the most sense for our club.  The majority of our members would be able to attend. and when asked about the youth for both the APA/ABA youth of Ohio and the NCBA Youth program- there is just so much more to offer the kids at the Crossroad show.  

I guess when asked where I recommend a meet, I am with Bro. Philip,  put it where the majority of your members can attend, even if it is not your first choice.  It is nice when the shows can offer alot to a national meet, that is a nice plus for the breed club.  but if the show is in an extreme area ( far North or far south) the extras dont matter much as not many members can get there.  I would rather secure a central location even if that particular show doesn\'t have as much to offer.

Just my two cents worth.

John

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 06:29:43 PM »
There are seven of that will vote.  Last year we voted to place this year\'s meet at a one day show in MO, (it is usually in the North Central District).  Some of us will drive farther then usual to attend, but our SC Director, Paul Smith, has drove way out of his way for several years just to make it to our National meet.  
I really like the central location of the Indiana show and don\'t know yet how I will vote.  Barbara and some others know that last year I requested Bay City, was leaning toward Lucasville, but voted for Sedilia at the last minute.  This was not because we would have the most exhibitors there or that it would be a big show, but Paul has done a lot to promote Ameraucana chickens and the ABC and many of us wanted to show our appreciation by placing a National in his District.
I brought it up to get input and we are getting it.
Any more?  

grisaboy

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 11:21:12 PM »
I vote for Crossroads.  Indianapolis is just an hour away for me.  I will definitely be showing there.  (And probably will be helping with set up, etc.).  They hope to get over 10,000 birds at this show.  This would be a great show for a National.  Just my opinion.  I hope to see you there regardless.

Curtis

John

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 10:14:31 PM »
Just one more vote could decide the location of our 2006 ABC National.  The Board members have until monday to cast their votes and so far....well you\'ll just have to wait and see.
FYI, I\'ve just updated the Bay City Poultry Club website.  We have an ABC State meet here this October.  I\'ve included a printable Entry Form on the website.  We still plan to print and mail 300 Show Catalogs, but all the necessary information to enter and attend the show is on the website.

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 07:38:36 AM »
One other point to consider, breed promotion. The number of exhibitors and general public that will attend the Cross Roads is a chance to inform them about the breed. Many judges will be there and see in force that this is a wonderful breed of bird and start giving them more consideration. We will be attending and helping set up and tear down since we are only 35 minutes away. Seeing a row of good standard bred birds is the best way to show many people, judges, exhibitors and general public that this is a true breeding bird.

Chari

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 05:29:04 PM »
I would prefer Indianapolis, myself. I will be going to that show for sure, as we are working on getting the Dutch bantam variety Blue Cream Light Brown admitted to the Standard at that show. I have been breeding hard to get some good examples of the variety, and if we do the ABC national there, I will bring my best Ameraucanas too.

Just my two cents...

Thanks,

Laura

John

2006 ABC National Meet
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 09:35:54 PM »
The votes have been cast and counted (and I didn\'t vote).
The ABC 2006 National meet will be at the Bay City Poultry Club show, in Michigan.