Author Topic: Buff Ameraucana  (Read 11798 times)

Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 03:20:16 PM »
Guess what all.....WE GOT 2 EGGS FROM THE GIRLS TODAY, you know what that means..Looks like we are going to collect for a set already..

Charlie

John

Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 03:31:47 PM »
Buff bantam Araucana

They are already recognized.  A fellow bought some buff bantam Ameraucanas from me several years ago to develop a strain of buff bantam Araucanas from.  I think he was from Indiana.
FYI, buff Orpington, buff Wyandotte and buff Brahma were used to get the buff color on bantam Ameraucanas.

Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 04:12:26 PM »
Hi John, i know they are recognized already, but try to find some.
 Ive been looking for over a year and knowbody seems to have any. If you look on feather site there isnt even a picture of them on there. Ive never seen a picture yet.

Now i know on the araucana site, somebody said they had some stolen at a show
 That is sad to hear
I just wish I could have seen them or even a picture of them..

We will have some Buff bantam araucana some day here, I have a few friends that are going to join forces with us to develop our own strain..
I have all the right things to do this.

John Your work and the others in the Buff Ameraucana is awsome..It can be seen in the birds..

Charlie

Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006, 08:35:20 PM »
Some of the Favorelle breeders are using the Buff Orps, both standards and bantam sizes for getting the buff Favorelles...so it looks like the buff of other breeds are being used for that purpose to get the color we want to get. I would imagine it would take several generations to get the correct pea comb since the Buff Orps are single combs and get the correct color as well.

Would it be pink or slate legs for these birds?? Buff Orps got pink legs....

Yes I agree with you Charlie, that these dedicated breeders out there are breeding quality birds including your buffs.
I hope you will save those eggs and hatch them out so you can get a good flock going. Hope the lady will help you out with new flock next year. Then you wil have a nice flock to start off with and not have to worry about bloodlines being too close. I know some breeders will use father-daughter mating....from that mating, breed that offspring back to father and keep that up until you get the desired color and other things you want out of them. However I would like to know where the limit is when you keep breeding father to daughter and father to granddaughter until you need to cross with unrelated father.....It is something I am not expencied in except for collies and horses which sometimes are very desirable  and some you wil have to be ready to cull heavy or eliminate that cross if it was pretty bad. Like some breeders do...linebreed every branch in that male line to one particular sire so that they all have a common ancestor....Arabians are good that area like having 95% Raffles in their ancestory...whew!

Has anyone do pedigree on their birds? I know hens are less documented but some folks would say this is by this rooster\'s (name) and this is a granddaughter of this roo (name). I have never heard of pedigreed stock.......funny if Mike would get started on the stud book of Amercuanas LOL! I know it will be more time consuming and lots of tests to be done on chick offsprings like ID and sample of feathers or blood for validity of parentage. Be nice to know which hen go with chick offspring unless you only do a pair at a time or a noticable difference in color of eggs frm each hen. I am not sure if the OEBG breeders do this pedigree stuff since there are alot of names on their birds...hopefully I am not mistaken them for cock fighting birds.

Johnny Parks

Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 08:48:08 PM »
Glad that you all like the buff ameraucanas!  Just one note of concern from reading the earlier posts. You do not want to breed for willow green legs!!!  NO, NO, NO!!!  The slate (blue) legs are characteristic for the buff ameraucana and most of the other color varities of ameraucana, with the exception of the black variety.  It is okay for the black variety to have the black legs.  Although, I think like most of the original breeders of ameraucanas, we prefer that all of the color varieties have the blue/slate shanks(legs)!  Johnny

Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 12:21:46 PM »
Yes I am aware of that, Johnny, about willow legs which Mike Gilbert has informed me of it and enjoy her as an egg laying hen or cross of EE bantams. At least I know where I am at for leg colors because the local and district judges all think all amercuanas should have willow legs....looks like we got a lot of work ahead of us to inform the public and newbies that willow legs in most colors are not acceptable unless you are breeding EE bantams. If I come to a show with the guideline book of this breed, I have a feeling that I probably would be banned from local shows like 4H, FFA and local poultry shows.

My friend always said willow legs are desirable but found out NO, it is not acceptable in this breed. So it may be a start from scratch for her.

Okay not much going on here except waiting for those chicks to hatch. I am hoping to get some wild colored birds.

Thanks Johnny for your input!

bantamhill

Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 02:16:57 PM »
Get a standard and provide the pages ahead of time to the judges, or buy/loan a standard for the club to have as a reference.

Michael

John

Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 02:27:57 PM »
Get a standard

You can buy a black and white \"Standard\" from the APA for $14.  Every poultry fancier needs one.

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_ShoppingMall3.htm

American Poultry Association “STANDARD OF PERFECTION”

This soft covered book is the Black and White version of the American Standard, 275 pages.  Pictures are in black and white and it details the same as the color version of the Standard.  This is a great book for the new exhibitor and breeder.
Price:  $14.00

Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 10:44:41 PM »
The standard is a good buy. I did not have to pay shipping.

Tim

Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 12:12:10 PM »
Some times ebay got some good buy\'s if you watch and wait..
 standard books..

Charlie

Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2006, 08:23:04 PM »
Up date all:
Got over 13 eggs in the bator another 3 days and we will see if the little roo was doing his thing.. ;)

I will have another 12 or so eggs to test if these fail..

these birds havent stopped laying, even though they are only getting natural lighting, no extra light is given on our farm..

They seem to be a very good egg laying breed. Not sure of what others are doing..

Charlie

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 03:55:04 PM »
Charlie,
       After being able to see your Buff Ameraucanas Bantams up close and in the flesh, please consider me when you have some chicks or started stock available.  I really liked the way they looked.  Please post when you have some available.  They were just stunning.   HarryS
Harry Shaffer

Buff Ameraucana
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 08:03:29 PM »
 Harry, thanks for such kind words about
 our Bantam Buff Ameraucana.

I will put you on the waiting list and you will be one of the first to get what ever you want..

Still testing eggs, everthing is looking just great at this time..

I will contact you soon..

Feel free to email Us anytime, if you have any question about our birds..

Thanks
Charlie  ;)