Author Topic: Feed Recipe Help  (Read 2532 times)

Benjamin Boven

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Feed Recipe Help
« on: March 23, 2021, 11:04:01 PM »
Hello all, First Post, so....

I mix my own feed for my barnyard chickens and have been successful with it. However, now that I have my Ameraucana breeders I want to make sure they are getting the 20% protein diet they were on. These are from exhibition lines and that's what I want to do as well. The recipe I use is from Azure Standard and is designed as a basic layer feed according to the article it came from.

16.5% protein

19 lbs. Organic Chicken Wheat (GP073)
9 lbs. Organic Animal Peas (GP559)
6 lbs. Organic Alfalfa Pellets (GP491)
5 lbs. Organic Animal Barley (GP168)
4 lbs. Organic Animal Oats (GP034)
3 lbs. Organic Animal Sorghum (GP850)
2.5 lbs. Organic Sunflower Seeds (SE047)

Mix in:
2 lbs. Oyster Shells (GP1011)
1.5 lbs. Fertrell Poultry Nutri-Balancer (GP039)
1 lb. Organic Buttermilk Powder (BP141) – optional
0.25 lbs. Animal Kelp Granules (GP100)
4 ozs. Organic Sunflower Oil (OL274)
0.07 lbs. Epsom Salt (HB1121) – optional

I have not been adding the extras as my big flock is on pasture all day. I HAVE been adding everything except the epsom salt for my Ameraucanas  but that's just because I forgot to buy it.

So assuming this exact recipe, I'm thinking more peas but does that mean cut wheat down?

I don't like relying on the big box stores and the plasticy feed bags and whatnot. It's just a personal thing. I'm not opposed to adding a NEW protein to this mix either. I use sorghum so our eggs and meat can be corn and soy free but I'm not allergic to any of it, just thought "why not?" (Plus a few freaky documentaries about monocropping). I'm not opposed to adding corn to this mix I suppose though. Thanks for any advice you can give!

Benjamin Boven

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re: Feed Recipe Help
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 11:08:10 PM »
Oops, if it matters, I free feed oyster shells in hanging feeders so no oyster shells in the actual feed

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re: Feed Recipe Help
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 04:10:59 PM »
Looks like pretty good ration, Ben. I would watch your birds performance (weight maintenance, feather quality, egg production, etc) and see if they do well.

With the numbers I feed, I can't afford the organic custom mix route. I currently feed Lone Star 20% laying mash. Weekly I supplement with Lone Star's 16% Conditioning Mix coated in cod liver oil. All of my birds are on grass during the day.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms