Author Topic: Feather coloring in wheaton Ameraucanas  (Read 5005 times)

Christy Rodriguez

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
    • Feathers and Fluff Farm
Feather coloring in wheaton Ameraucanas
« on: April 04, 2021, 02:26:31 AM »
I am new with breeding blue wheatons this year. I have a pullet that does not have any blue or black in the tail or wings. Infact none at all anywhere, even in the under fluff. Is this a bad quality? The pen they are in is isolated to just blue wheaton so it isn't an accident egg from another roo. I am under the impression that blue wheaton pullets have the blue in the tail and wings. Then the wheaton pullets have the black  in the tail and wings. I also have a pullet that seems to be a blue wheaton but also has some black splash markings on her chest. I am thinking this is not a good quality??? [/img]

Christy Rodriguez

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re: Feather coloring in wheaton Ameraucanas
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 11:43:49 PM »
I would really like some experienced input from other breeders that have worked with blue wheatons before.

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 09:58:29 AM »
Christy, I have raised a few Blue Wheaten over the years, not a lot, but enough to get pullets like yours with no Blue or Black tail or wing feathers. I always treated these pullets as Splash Wheaten. If I bred them to a Wheaten male, I would get Blue Wheaten cockerels and pullets. If I bred them to a Blue Wheaten male I got Blue Wheaten cockerels and an occasional Splash Wheaten cockerel. Pullets would be a mixture of Blue Wheaten coloration and more pullets with no blue in the tail or wings. I have never had a pullet like the one you said has Black markings on her chest. That is a new one on me. Would there be anyway that you could post a picture of that pullet on the forum for others to evaluate. Good luck with your spring hatching!
Gordon Gilliam

Christy Rodriguez

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 10:35:28 AM »
Thank you for sharing your experience. I can understand what you're saying and that does make sense. I'll try and get a picture of her and post it because I don't have any other blue wheatons that have these light black or dark gray markings on their chest.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 12:22:18 PM »
Christy,

It is correctly termed *wheaten. :)

Blue wheaten x blue wheaten will create 50% blue wheaten, 25% wheaten and 25% splash wheaten on average.

Yes, wheaten, blue wheaten and splash wheaten pullets/hens will reflect their color variety in their wings and tails. If the color definition is poor in the tails, spread the wings to check for color. I’m attaching some photos to be of help.

If you see white in these areas (created from two copies of the Bl diluting gene), the pullet is a splash wheaten. Blue in these areas is indicative of a blue wheaten. Black is indicative of a wheaten.

I personally would not use pullets/hens that have ticking that extends beyond the hackles (into the breast or on the back) as a breeder. I will, however, use a wheaten or blue wheaten pullet that has ticking in the hackles in a breeding pen if the type and color is good on the bird. Sometimes a bird that we might not show can still be useful as a breeder.

One of my mentors worked on clearing up all the ticking in the hackles of her wheaten and blue wheaten pullets/hens and found that she lost considerable color definition in the tails of her pullets/hens in doing so.

The undercolor on a blue wheaten pullet should be very light slate. The undercolor on the wheaten pullets can vary from light cinnamon to light slate. Look for good undercolor on the females, as it often correlates with good color definition in the wings and tails of the pullets. To check the undercolor, brush the feathers on the back in the direction of the neck with your fingers and take a look.

Since we’re dealing with a diluting gene, when working to improve the blue wheatens I personally recommend mating your blue wheatens with wheaten to encourage good color. This preference may not be shared by all breeders but it has worked well for me. If you look closely at the wheaten, blue wheaten and splash wheaten pullets you will notice the diluting gene also affects the plumage color on other areas of the bird. This effect is also reflected in the written standard if you look at the descriptions for the wheaten and blue wheaten female. For example, the head on a blue wheaten pullet should be light creamy wheaten, while the head of a wheaten pullet should be rich wheaten. The front of the neck of a blue wheaten pullet should be light creamy wheaten, while the front of the neck of a wheaten pullet should be creamy wheaten. All of this info, and additional differences, can be found in an APA SOP book which can be purchased at the following link:

http://amerpoultryassn.com/sample-page/apa-store/

If all of your pullets lack good color definition, there are several lines out there that have good color. Sometimes we have to start where we are with what we have and work to improve the birds. Just don’t get tunnel vision and look at the entire bird when selecting breeding stock. Select for type first.

Hope some of this info helps!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 04:50:57 PM by Lindsay Helton »
Joshua 24:15

Christy Rodriguez

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 03:35:33 PM »
 Thank you for your insight. That was a spelling mistake I didn't pay attention to. It is good to hear from people who have different experiences. I have been told the opposite from other breeders. I am working on developing a quality wheaten hen. I appreciate any experience people have. I would agree there is not just one way to accomplish many goals.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 04:45:29 PM »
You’re welcome! Since you want to work on creating wheatens, wheaten x wheaten creates 100% wheaten and wheaten x blue wheaten creates 50% wheaten and 50% blue wheaten on average.  You can also get wheaten from the cross mentioned above. If you have any photos available, we could help you evaluate them! 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 04:50:10 PM by Lindsay Helton »

Christy Rodriguez

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 07:50:26 PM »
I am familiar with the breeding and the color as far as just like the BBS. I will definitely post some pictures of them as they grow out to get your opinion on them. I want to get a solid 3, maybe 4 hens to out my self blue with next year. I would like them to be as close as possible to SOP. I'm hatching out more in a few weeks and think I'm going to grow them out more before officially deciding who to keep. It is a great learning experience!

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 09:52:01 PM »
What are your goals? Are you pursuing an isabel project?

Luanne D’Amico has a nice isabel program going if you don’t want to start from scratch. 

https://eightacresfarm.weebly.com/isabel-ameraucanas.html

Christy Rodriguez

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 10:14:48 PM »
I am unfortunately aware of her. I was extremely disappointed and have talked to others that had negative experiences with her birds that have purchased from her. I am working on an Isabel breeding project and was hoping to get a few chicks as a starting point for reference. If you know of anyone else I would love to know who else there is.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 10:45:48 PM »
It is a project color.

Even in well-established breeding programs of currently approved varieties, most serious breeders cull 75% or more of their grow outs.

I commend anyone that puts the research and work into pursuing a project color, including yourself. Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 02:24:40 PM by Lindsay Helton »

Christy Rodriguez

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 05:36:52 PM »
I do understand that and that has not been the problem with her. There are genetic health issues and other stuff. No which are something to mention here.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 09:59:52 AM »
I have purchased hatching eggs from Luanne in the past. I was pleased with the birds that hatched and they did not have any health issues. Unfortunately, a predator dug under their pen and got to them when they were around 6-7 months old.

Christy Rodriguez

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 10:23:05 AM »
Oh no! I'm sorry. That would just be crushing. Are you working on any projects now?

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 12:35:02 PM »
Right now I am working with large fowl splash since the ABC is seeking approval for the variety. We had the first prequalifying meet on 11/7/20 and the next one is scheduled for 11/6/21 at the Heart of Ozarks poultry show in Fayetteville, AR. We’ll need 4 splash in each category (Cock/Hen/Cockerel/Pullet) for it to be successful.

Keep us posted on how your project progresses!