The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Upcoming Meets

Heart of Dixie poultry show, 10/30/2021, Fort Payne, AL

<< < (2/3) > >>

kkdossey:
Sweet, we'll see you there!

Lindsay Helton:
Safe travels for Aaron and you!

kkdossey:
Thanks, hope I have some Wheatens and Blue Wheatens worthy of a challenge to your fine birds!

Lindsay Helton:
Ha! They need a lot of work but I love the wheaten and blue wheaten. They were the first varieties I started with. I have worked with 7 of the 9 recognized color varieties in large fowl, but I must have “picked correctly” the first go around, because they have always been the most appealing to me/brought me the most joy overall despite the work that needs to be done. For some reason, I prefer more challenging varieties. I tried my hardest to enjoy raising blacks because generally speaking their type is nice and they perform well at shows, but they just don’t do it for me. One of my poultry friends that has raised poultry for decades took me to the side at the last show we attended together and told me I need to focus on the wheaten and blue wheaten. He has watched me drift around and work with several color varieties over the years to figure out which ones to settle on long term. I think he may have told me what I already knew. :)

kkdossey:
Yea I really like them too, we saw a Blue Wheaten cock at the Fort Worth Stock Show and were like, that's what we need to be doing right there.  That's what we started with.  When we asked Paul about getting some, he said if you're going to show get some blacks too.  And we did, and you're right.  But they're not as fun as the wheatens.  At our shows we never see them either.  You and Paul I think are the only ones I've seen. Wish there was more to compare with here, but not really right now.  That's why we promote the breed right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version