Author Topic: Red (leakage?) on blue cockerel wings  (Read 2431 times)

Debra Keen

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Red (leakage?) on blue cockerel wings
« on: July 31, 2021, 02:00:08 PM »
What can you tell me about red showing up on the wings of a 4-month old blue cockerel...is this a defect that happens, wheaten in the woodpile, etc.? I got some blue chicks earlier this year but quickly realized they aren't the quality I want to work with (fortunately was able to recently get some from a well-known breeder that look much nicer.) I won't be keeping the first batch with no lacing and the red showing up in the cockerels but just curious about it.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Red (leakage?) on blue cockerel wings
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 02:16:56 PM »
Debra,

Can you post a photo of what you are referring to?

If the file size is too large and you are unsure of how to reduce it, you could send the picture to me at abcsecretaryhelton@gmail.com or via FB and I can upload it for you.
Joshua 24:15

Debra Keen

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »
This is the first blue cockerel with the odd-colored feathers.

Debra Keen

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 01:24:11 PM »
Wing closeup

Debra Keen

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 01:34:23 PM »
Click on the pics to see better. The other one has literally ONE off-colored feather! Again...not wanting to keep or breed these guys nor am I interested in finger pointing! Just very interested in color genetics and how/why this might have occurred in a group of BBS chicks.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 02:29:02 PM »
Understandable. We are all just here to learn.

You made the right decision to not breed them. That is considerable leakage. Color leakage happens when a bird is not fully melanized. We should select against it.

Debra Keen

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 02:58:28 PM »
Thanks...I thought leakage but wasn't sure that was the right term.  Stock supposed to have originally come from a good/known breeder but I think a lot of back yard breeding and no showing has happened since then (I use that term as I come from the dog show/breeding world; it's as if someone got a puppy from show lines then bred indiscriminately with no "quality control.") Not intending to be mean...sweet person, sweet birds...just nothing to work with. Does a fair amount of leakage show up in good blue lines or is this unusual? Not obsessing...again, just curiosity as I grow up my new bunch.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 05:22:48 PM »
You’re welcome. I did a post a while back under the breeding section about purchasing quality Ameraucana. It may be of help if you purchase any other birds in the future.

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,4161.0.html

No, in my experience, considerable color leakage (like above) does not show up in good lines of blue. I have not encountered any color leakage in the line of blues I’m working with thus far. Granted, I’m only two years back in with the blue, black and splash varieties. I started working with them again since we are seeking approval for large fowl splash. Sometimes a good line may throw a bird with a little color leakage here or there, but typically not to that extent.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 10:55:14 PM by Lindsay Helton »

Debra Keen

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 05:34:19 PM »
Thanks, Lindsay! I've actually read every thread and post several times. :-) It's great to see so much educational info out there now, and you've contributed so much of it. I knew I was probably making a mistake when I got these...I used to have birds from Paul but got out of chickens for a few years . I just got in a hurry to add a few blue eggers and tried these instead of waiting for one of the people I knew I should wait for.  ::)  I knew better and now have some chicks from a good line. Was just curious about those "colorful" feathers showing up, having never seen them previously in my blue birds.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 05:44:06 PM by Debra Keen »

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 06:24:47 PM »
You’re welcome Debra. :)