Author Topic: Proven reproducers  (Read 1793 times)

Stephan Roaque

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Proven reproducers
« on: October 23, 2021, 11:30:20 PM »
Question for those that have done this long enough. How long do you keep either a proven reproducer cock and hen around for before you “retire” them? Retire meaning they just end up living a chicken life if you free range em or whatever.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Proven reproducers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 12:26:08 AM »
Stephan,

I will keep a show quality bird in a breeding pen as long as they are fertile or laying, or until I produce a better bird to replace them. Some birds can be useful in a breeding program for several years.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 12:28:16 AM by Lindsay Helton »
Joshua 24:15

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 06:10:11 AM »
Stephan, I will start out in my breeding pens with older cockerels and young cocks with up to 6 hens. In most cases as the cocks and hens grow older, say 3-4 years old and fertility is not an issue I will usually change my breeding pens to trio or quads. As the birds grow older It may change to pairs. As Lindsay said you may retire birds not because of fertility issues, but because of your younger stock coming in as replacements. If you are constantly working on improving areas in your birds and having success, as you noted older birds may be put out to pasture because of their usefulness. Hopefully your youger birds growing out will be your breeders of the future. There is one thing that may cause this to change and that is PREDATORS! It may make you take one step forward and several steps back, but that is another story. As has been my experience, preators always go for the cream of your crop!
Gordon Gilliam

Stephan Roaque

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 08:06:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply’s. I figured as much. Just curious what all of you do.