Author Topic: organic feed  (Read 3576 times)

organic feed
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:38:16 PM »
Does anyone know where I can access organic chicken feed in BC?

organic feed
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 01:12:07 PM »
You might ask at Classroom at the Coop. There are quite a few Canadian people there.

bantamhill

organic feed
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 07:37:11 AM »
I have seen it listed before, but I do not remember the brand . . . I will do some looking. Have you considered mixing your own feed. One might be able to find organic oats, wheat, corn, etc. to use to mix your feed. I would also suggest your local health food store . . . most have coop catalogs that one can join and buy organic foods. If you have any Mennonite or Amish communities in your area they may also be good contacts.

http://www.ansci.umn.edu/poultry/resources/organic_feed_sources.htm

http://www.cfspecial.com/OrganicPoultryFeed.html

http://www.lionsgrip.com/producers.html

http://www.countrysidenatural.com/feeds.htm

This last link was the brand I was trying to find . . . I saw it at a poultry show. Contact your local feed store/mill and see what they can special order for you if you do not want to do your own mixing. My local feed mill has ordered me lots of weird stuff (in their view) . . . their general concern was how much they had to buy at a time and whether I would take it all at one time - the pallet of feed issue. You might be able to coordinate with other local poultry folks and go together and buy a pallet of feed.

Good luck!

Michael

organic feed
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 10:04:37 AM »
Hello

Actually a friend of mine used to have organic feed brought down here from BC. I\'m helping her with a pen today, I\'ll see if she has a phone or e-mail number.

Warmest regards,
Lisa Cree
http://creefarm.fateback.com

Blue Egg Acres

organic feed
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 11:08:30 AM »
Michael, speaking of mixing your own, do you have a recipe you\'d be willing to share?

organic feed
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 08:42:18 PM »
If you live within driving distance of a Amish or Minnonite community it is worth the trip to buy organic feed as all have a mill who mixes their own. It is being sold here for 9.25 per 100lb and bagged fresh. Here in KY. I would buy nothing else. The birds thrive and are very healthy not getting fed animal protein. Just grain. Hope it helps.

organic feed
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 08:50:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The issue with feed is that I can\'t bring it accross the border. Canada banned import of animal and pet food from the US without a permit some time ago. I got nailed at the border 6 months ago by a new customs officer. He pulled the regs to prove it to me.

So either I mix my own or find a local source. There isn\'t a decent  mill within 100 miles of here.

organic feed
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:15:27 PM »
sorry not to have gotten back with you sooner. The name of the BC organic feed company was Inseason Farm. It may no longer be in buisness. We couldn\'t find it in an internet search.

Lisa

organic feed
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 07:17:22 AM »
This is the mix I use for my egg layers. Each amount is in pounds

8  lbs cracked corn ( 4.50 / bushel)

1.5 lbs wheat ( I buy 800 lbs of bin wheat when it is harvested in the spring.) cost is 12.00 /100lbs

6 lbs  of soybean meal (48% protein) 12.00/100lbs

1 lb oats ( I  use crimped and steamed oats for horses the birds will eat them). 7.00-9.00/50 lbs

1 lb alfalfa meal 8.00 / 50 lbs

2 lbs oyster shell or calcium carbonate ( for cattle feed)

1 lb kelp meal   30.00/50 lbs

I am going to stop using the kelp meal when it runs out and start adding Fertrell Nutribalancer. 38.00/60 lbs

use  1/2 lb  of  nutribalancer.

If you have white or silver show birds, I would suggest not using the alfalfa and the corn. Go with wheat instead of corn or if you can get another grain high in carbohydrates.

Peas and beans would be a good source of carbohydrates and protein. Stay away from green or yellow peas if you show white or silver birds.

If a anybody has questions. My email address is

tadkerson@netzero.net

Tim

bantamhill

organic feed
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 09:54:36 AM »
I have used different feed mixes and personally not seen much difference in productivity or fertility from a straight pellet feed.

My current plan is the following:

50 lbs Commerical 16% layer pellets

Using a half gallon ice cream container to measure

2 scoops - whole oats
      4 scoops - 28% dog or cat food

Using a 1 cup measuring cup

2 scoops - oystershell
       1 scoop - diatamacious earth

This month I will also use some cracked corn since show season is over and the cold weather is here.

In January I will gradually reduce the dog food and oats and increase soybean meal to stimulate egg production. I have used kelp meal and Calf Manna for vitamin supplement, but I have convenced myself to use either a water based vitamin or to explore other feed supplements.

Michael