Author Topic: The tail spread of an Ameraucana female  (Read 1979 times)

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
The tail spread of an Ameraucana female
« on: December 01, 2021, 08:41:10 PM »
The APA standard reflects the tail of an Ameraucana female should be medium length and well spread with the top two feathers slightly curved. The ABA standard makes mention of the coverts being quite long, flowing well up the tail.

This particular post goes over some of the details relating to the tail spread of an Ameraucana female. I will try to create separate posts on the top two feathers and the coverts in the future.

When viewed from the side, the main tail feathers of an Ameraucana female (usually seven on each side) should be neither fan shaped nor pinched together.

The bantam wheaten female in picture 1 has a tail that is fan shaped (too spread) and that is carried too high. The tail should be 40 degrees above horizontal and we should select away from fan shaped tails.

The tail on the bantam blue pullet in photo 2 is well spread. A drawback of this particular pullet is that the tail is a little too long and it lacks correct covert length.  We do not want too much tail showing beyond the coverts.

The tail on the large fowl pullet in photo 3 is fairly well spread. Notice also that the coverts are long and flowing well up the tail.

The tail feathers on the large fowl pullet in photo 4 are pinched.

Hopefully this post will give you a few things to think about while you are assessing the tails on your Ameraucana females!

An APA and ABA standard book can be purchased at the following links:

https://amerpoultryassn.com/store/

https://www.bantamclub.com/online-store

There is a diagram on page 15 of the current APA SOP book that goes over the nomenclature of a female.
Joshua 24:15

kkdossey

• ABC BOD
  • Ameraucana Guru
  • Long live the blue bantam cock, whoever you are!
    • View Profile
    • Prime Time Poultry
Re: The tail spread of an Ameraucana female
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 11:51:44 AM »
That's good info.
I often consider spread viewed from behind and how far apart the lowest tail feathers are, like an upside down V rather than how you illustrate the vertical spread of the tail from the side. Just another thing I need to be looking at.
Kris Dossey

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 12:18:40 PM »
Yes, the spread can also be viewed from behind. The upside down V, when present, is also a good reflection of the general body width of the particular bird.
Joshua 24:15

kkdossey

• ABC BOD
  • Ameraucana Guru
  • Long live the blue bantam cock, whoever you are!
    • View Profile
    • Prime Time Poultry
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 10:55:05 AM »
Yes, that's a good point.  You were talking with me about that before how you wanted to see them like that.
Kris Dossey