Author Topic: Winter Doldrums  (Read 2389 times)

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Winter Doldrums
« on: January 03, 2022, 08:53:06 AM »
Yes, it seems like 2022 hatching will never get here. Blowing snow, sub zero temps sometimes are the high for the day. Frozen water pipes and chicken waterers are the norm. One can only dream of collecting eggs from what few hens are laying. Dreaming of those days when you can give birds baths and prepping them for a show. Spring seems a long horizen away, but then I stop and think of all those people in Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri and surounding states that were hit with recent devistating tornados. Many of them possibly ABC members. My heartfelt sympathies along with other ABC members go out to them. I guess I don't have it so bad afterall. May those effected repair, regroup and move forward and we hope to see old friends and ABC members at 2022 shows. Keep your chin up as there has to be better days ahead!
Gordon Gilliam

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Doldrums
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 03:41:54 PM »
We’re only three days into January Gordon and Tennessee has already worked it’s way through spring, summer and winter weather. Saturday it was in the low 70s and raining. On Sunday it was in the 20s and we had snow on the ground.
Joshua 24:15

kkdossey

• ABC BOD
  • Ameraucana Guru
  • Long live the blue bantam cock, whoever you are!
    • View Profile
    • Prime Time Poultry
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 03:49:19 PM »
Similar here in Texas.  We we dropped 50+degrees on Saturday down into the teens from the 70s, but no snow here.  Hang in there!
Kris Dossey

Lawrence Loggins

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 01:10:27 AM »
19 degrees tonight.

We already had snow. Twice.

My sussex are laying well, the others not so much. Still too cold to set up breeding pens.

I take up all of my waterers up at night and dump the water out, so they would not freeze over night. I change waters in the mornings anyway, but it is a time saver. I am sure the birds hate that though.

How much longer until spring?

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 01:53:30 AM »
Let's see, 2 more days and it is February (a short but sometimes a very cold month for us here). Temps can easily go way below zero! March can be warmer, but also chances of heavier snow. I guess for now just dreams of April and spring weather!
Gordon Gilliam