Author Topic: Ameraucana color information  (Read 1398 times)

Pedro Marques

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Ameraucana color information
« on: February 11, 2022, 07:18:18 AM »
Hello friends, I am a breeder and I live in Brazil.
I am my breeding, I bought eggs from good American breeders and I intend to promote the pure breed in my country and South America.
I would like to know if the club has individual articles on the approved colors.

The Case for Black
The Case for Blue
The Case for Blue Wheaten
The Case for Brown Red
The Case for Buff
The Case for Lavender (Self Blue)
The Case for Silver
The Case for Wheaten
The Case for White

Thanks!!

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Ameraucana color information
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 12:18:01 AM »
Pedro, I will try to add comments on the different color varieties as I have time available.

The lavender gene (lav), which creates the plumage color of a self-blue Ameraucana, is an autosomal recessive gene. The lavender gene dilutes eumelanin and pheomelanin. Two copies of the lavender gene are required for the plumage color to be expressed. A self-blue Ameraucana should not have any lacing, shaftiness, mealiness or messiness. A self-blue Ameraucana should be an even shade of clear blue. A harmonious blending of all plumage sections is desired for self-blue males and their female counterparts. There should be no contrast in color among the sections. Additional information can be found here:

http://www.ameraucanabreedersclub.org/self-blue%20sop.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 12:21:01 AM by Lindsay Helton »
Joshua 24:15

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Ameraucana color information
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 12:20:05 AM »
The blue gene (Bl), which creates the plumage color of a blue Ameraucana, is an autosomal incomplete dominant diluting gene. In its heterozygous form (one copy of the Bl gene), black feathers are diluted to create blue plumage color.

The standard calls for a blue Ameraucana to have lacing present. Multiple scientific studies have found that there are three genes involved in creating the black single lacing on a blue Ameraucana. Those three genes are the Pattern gene (Pg), Melanotic gene (MI) and Columbian gene (Co). The Pattern gene is responsible for creating patterns on plumage. It organizes black pigment concentrically. The Melanotic gene is a black intensifier. It enhances and moves black pigment to the outer border of the feather. This makes the outer border black and double lacing is created (Pg+Ml). By adding Columbian (Co), which is an eumelanin restrictor, the inner laces are taken away and single lacing is created (Pg+Ml+Co).

Blue Ameraucana cockerels are darker in the hackle, back, saddle and wingbows because of their sexually dimorphic plumage.
Joshua 24:15