Author Topic: Chocolate Wheaten F1  (Read 2301 times)

Lacie Bateman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Chocolate Wheaten F1
« on: July 13, 2022, 08:25:38 PM »
Finally have my first cross towards Chocolate Wheatens.

I'm loving the mauve chicks that hatched and that got me to thinking..... I know for regular blues that they need to have the lacing effect, but I think blue wheatens are not supposed to be laced? Or are they? If so should mauve wheatens (or regular mauve) be laced?

I know some people set up different pens depending on if they're breeding for blue vs breeding for black.

Basically I'm wanting to work on chocolate and mauve wheaten and possibly chocolate and mauve and want to know if the mauve/mauve wheaten should be laced.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Chocolate Wheaten F1
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 09:28:14 PM »
Finally have my first cross towards Chocolate Wheatens.

I'm loving the mauve chicks that hatched and that got me to thinking..... I know for regular blues that they need to have the lacing effect, but I think blue wheatens are not supposed to be laced? Or are they? If so should mauve wheatens (or regular mauve) be laced?

I know some people set up different pens depending on if they're breeding for blue vs breeding for black.

Basically I'm wanting to work on chocolate and mauve wheaten and possibly chocolate and mauve and want to know if the mauve/mauve wheaten should be laced.

Lacie,

Congratulations on your progress with your chocolate wheaten project.

The standard for a blue wheaten male calls for the breast and wings to be laced with dark blue.

The blue wheaten males do not carry true lacing genes, and frankly in my opinion the standard verbiage should technically state for those areas to be *edged with dark blue.

The genes that create true lacing, like in the blue Andalusian (and in some lines of blue Ameraucana that have been outcrossed to blue Andalusian), are the Pg, MI, and Co genes.

If our blue wheaten males actually carried true “lacing” genes, their female counterparts would as well and they would be laced too. As you know from working with the varieties, blue wheaten females do not have lacing nor carry all the genes for it.

So, in that respect, when working with any chocolate x wheaten and chocolate x blue wheaten crosses, they should not be laced.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 09:40:20 PM by Lindsay Helton »
Joshua 24:15

Lacie Bateman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 12:55:55 PM »
Thank you :)

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 01:50:09 PM »
You’re welcome. :)

Christina Weldon

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 03:19:03 PM »
This is really cool to see. Chocolate am's would be absolutely amazing, and Lindsay's explanation of the genetics was fascinating. Lacie I hope your project is successful!

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 09:00:09 PM »
For fun, here is a link to the thread on the first chocolate Ameraucana by Jean Ribbeck:

http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,1686.msg11148.html#msg11148

Lacie Bateman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 12:17:57 PM »
Some favorites of my F1s. I'll be setting as many eggs as I can this month for an Easter hatch. each egg has between a 12 and 25 percent chance to hatch out chocolate and wheaten. * fingers crossed I get a bunch lol

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 02:31:00 PM »
Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

kkdossey

• ABC BOD
  • Ameraucana Guru
  • Long live the blue bantam cock, whoever you are!
    • View Profile
    • Prime Time Poultry
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 03:47:50 PM »
Hey those are cool!
Kris Dossey