Author Topic: Worming / Parasite Control  (Read 1598 times)

Mitchell Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Worming / Parasite Control
« on: July 17, 2022, 08:55:27 AM »
Looking for advice on worming/parasite control. We have been very blessed avoiding issues in the past, but as our Daughter is starting to show in 4H and possibly open shows we are wanting to be proactive instead of reactive. Our local vet is great, but admitantly doesn't know much if anything regarding chickens. Any advice on what to administer, dosage, withdraw times, and the like would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mitch

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Worming / Parasite Control
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 09:47:55 AM »
I would recommend using injectable ivermectin. 1.5 ml per gallon and pull eggs for 2 weeks.
Joshua 24:15

Mitchell Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 04:26:19 PM »
So just add this to individual waters? Is there anything topical we should use along with this?

Thank you

Mitch

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 11:33:21 PM »
Yes you can add it to their water and pull it after 24 hours.

A few other suggestions came to mind in regard to being proactive.

Some people do a preventative dosage of Denagard prior to attending shows. 8 cc/ml (1.5 teaspoons) per gallon for 3 to 5 days prior to the show.

You may want to consider spraying your birds with a flea and tick spray as a preventative measure prior to attending shows.

Lastly, I like to spray my barn stalls and chicken coops with permethrin 10 every few months as a precautionary measure. The dilution instructions are on the bottle.

Hope some of this info is helpful. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:35:12 PM by Lindsay Helton »
Joshua 24:15