Author Topic: Chicken Waters  (Read 1697 times)

Mitchell Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Chicken Waters
« on: September 09, 2022, 09:53:09 AM »
Our oldest is in her second year of 4-H and she would really like more responsiblity/ownership regarding caring for our/her birds. She is great at taking care of animals and very responsible for her age. She does great gathering eggs each day and does awesome making sure the birds are always fed. The problem we are running into is that she isn't quite strong enough yet to handle/open the chicken waters ( Bell Waters / 3 gallon waters ). We are looking for possible options to help her. Not a huge issue because we insure everything is taken care of, just trying to help support and nurture her interest and desire to take ownership of her responsibilities.

Thanks for any help / advise.

Mitch

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Waters
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 12:34:24 PM »
If it is important to her to be able to handle the waterers, you could purchase some with the top-fill lids. She could lift the lid and pour a smaller quantity of water into it until the waterer is full. Attaching a link to a potential design. I didn’t price check them and you may be able to find a cheaper option with a similar design somewhere else.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/quick-clean-waterer-with-legs-3-gal?p1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyOuYBhCGARIsAIdGQRNxxqz0KPhHccT1JkPIlEShBNmUkXB9HY76lS9tvJzX8mcftMWEFXcaAqAOEALw_wcB

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/938866-harris-farms-easy-fill-poultry-drinker.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyOuYBhCGARIsAIdGQROjo3pMh7C2a-FKTl_2NXPgIw8SqY-XrjHoJmA1ODkgdsQRI4y257UaApE7EALw_wcB
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 04:27:47 PM by Lindsay Helton »
Joshua 24:15

Mitchell Taylor

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 03:36:58 AM »
Thank you for the ideas, I completely forgot about that style of waterer.

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 09:22:09 AM »
You’re welcome. Happy to be of help.
Joshua 24:15

Linda Bunn

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 03:03:28 PM »
I have used the top fill waterers from Harris Farms and well pleased with them.  My husband is not able to pick up heavy weights due to a back injury and this is his favored waterer.  Bonus is the top is very slick and the birds can’t perch on it so no droppings in the water.  Biggest thing you have to watch for and take into inconsideration is the mechanism that allows water to fill the basin is raised inside so you can not let water level get too low or there may be water inside but not feeding into the basin - we selected larger size to prevent it from becoming too low during really hot weather if you have a larger population drinking from it.  Even with 2-3 inches water still in reservoir it is easy to lift.  We tried the top fill type with the screw on lid and even my husband and myself struggle to get lid off because it seems to create a vacuum lock. 

Here is link to one we have used:  https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjg9p_diKn6AhVOFNQBHX-pDxwYABAbGgJvYQ&sig=AOD64_3Aa0Fh27gwQjHCSwmVRbF61njZZw&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiWjZfdiKn6AhVLmmoFHbbQDCwQww8I3A4&adurl=