Author Topic: Crossing different varieties  (Read 2323 times)

Crossing different varieties
« on: January 05, 2007, 11:26:22 AM »

What different varieties are allowd to mate ? I saw that black , blue and whites can cross and blue wheaten with wheaten .
 Can a Black cross with Brown Red ? Or Blue with Wheaten Blue ? Black with Silver ?
 What are the possibilities of mating diferent varieties ?

John

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 02:14:19 PM »
What different varieties are allowed to mate ?

Black X Blue and Wheaten X Blue Wheaten.
Other crosses, of course, can be made but they would not produce recognized varieties.
Also, I would not cross white with blue and only cross white with black to make improvements to the whites.  It takes just a couple generations to do it.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 11:59:03 PM »
I got one pullet that is so lovely.....she was a cross from a Buff roo x Blue Wheaton pullet and she ended up like a buff pencilled color with some black spangles on her neck and a darker muff.

If you are not particular about breeding for colors but want to get \"wild\" with colors, go for it but stay within the body standards for the Amercuanas...olive leggers seems to crop up in some strains or bloodlines....If it is not the color you want out of the cross, you can sell them off and try again with different colors. Genetics is pretty tough to determine in colors of birds even they dont breed true.

I would imagine Black x Silver might be Silver birchen color but I could be wrong. Might be weird to get some form of Black Sex Link color out of the crosses with some black x gold or red.
How about Barred!!!! (eww)