Author Topic: Fertile Eggs  (Read 3861 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Fertile Eggs
« on: February 17, 2007, 02:01:40 PM »
How long would you wait to collect eggs from an unbred hen/hens that have just been introduced to a new rooster?

Thanks,

Jean
Jean

Fertile Eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 02:31:35 PM »
Howdy, Jean!

I wait three weeks when doing this or when rearranging residents of breeding pens.

Greg

John

Fertile Eggs
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 06:30:04 PM »
I would only wait until he mounts her.  That may only take a few seconds, but shouldn\'t take longer than a day.  
So one day should be long enough when the females were not with a male for awhile.
I like to wait longer, as Greg suggests, if they were with a different male just prior to introducing the male you want as the sire.  Even then though the experts that I\'ve heard from say the cock that was with the hens most recently before an egg is laid is the likely sire.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Fertile Eggs
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 09:50:26 PM »
Thanks John,

I have been waiting the three weeks on my other birds that have previously been with a rooster, but these girls were \"fresh\".

I will gather the eggs and put some in the incubator and see if I can get some white birdies..... woo hoo

Have I told you I bought a hatcher last week to go with my incubator.!  I\'m so excited!

Is everyone incubating now?

Jean
Jean

jwoodhaven

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodhavenpoultry.com
Fertile Eggs
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 12:09:49 AM »
hey Jean we wait about 1 week. we get about 50% fertile eggs the first week but then after that they become more fertile.

Jerry

bantamhill

Fertile Eggs
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 10:32:18 AM »
I do not have anything incubating currently. I put the breeding pens together last weekend. I will probably start collecting eggs this week.

Michael

Fertile Eggs
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:59:05 AM »
This question has kept chewing on me, I am reading a couple books on poultry management thatI have on loan from my local university.

In the third edition (1951) of Poultry Husbandry, Morley Jull (Professor and Head of Poultry Department, University of Maryland, College Park, MD) on page 104 writes,
\"Good Fertility in 10 days. In flock and pen matings it is possible to secure a fertile egg approximately 24 hr. after copulation takes place, but a high percentage of fertile eggs is not likely to be obtained within 5 to 7 days after making up a mating. In order to secure maximum fertility before starting to save eggs, it is well to make up matings at least 10 days in advance.
Good Fertility for 10 Days after Matings Discontinued. While it is possible to secure a fertile egg for as long as 31 days after copulation has taken place, the per cent of fertile eggs tends to decline about the fifth day and declines sharply following the tenth day after the males have been removed from the breeding pens.\"