The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Exhibiting & Promoting

JR. Showmanship

(1/3) > >>

Mitchell Taylor:
Our daughter is exhibiting poultry for the 1st time this year and we are looking for any advice regarding showmanship. My wife and I exhibited large animals in 4-H / open shows, and while we are learning about exhibiting poultry, we know very little about poultry showmanship so any help / advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mitch

kkdossey:
Poultry showmanship normally has two components, the first being handling skills where you have to hold your bird and place it in a cage as well as remove it. The second part is knowledge and information based. Normally the judge will ask questions about the breed of bird you are showing such as history and specific breed characteristics. They tend to ask a lot of questions relating to the standard of perfection as well so its good to study that. Depending on age is typically how difficult the questions will be. The youth exhibition poultry association website has a lot of really good study information as well. If you have any other questions feel free to message me directly!
Written by my daughter Lauren Dossey

Lindsay Helton:
Nice answer Lauren!

Mitchell Taylor:
Thank you we appreciate all the information.

Mitch

far149:
For Texas youth, the Brazos Valley Poultry Club is hosting a showmanship seminar at our annual picnic July 8th. If you're in Texas and are interested in attending, contact me at rhotonhill_poultry@yahoo.com for more information.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version