Author Topic: AOV?  (Read 3198 times)

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
AOV?
« on: January 29, 2007, 09:28:44 PM »
I\'ve been thinking... what if we had an AOV category?  

First of all, it would give all those enthusiastic new variety promoters somewhere to go with their \"product\".  Many potential varieties that fail might still gain an Ameraucana enthusiast and breeder.

I\'m thinking we might encompass the Easter Egger popularity and perhaps concentrate on encouraging \"breeding them up\", as many of us have done.  Essentially we would be less discouraging and disparaging and perhaps benefit from the popularity.  How many of us have owned them?

Anyway, it would officially give judges and breeders somewhere to \"put\" the well loved Easter Eggers.  I can envision a new reply, \"Yes, it seems to be an Ameraucana but from a farm flock or production line.\"  \"You could buy a SQ rooster from me and upgrade your flock.\"

Hmmm?
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Mike Gilbert

AOV?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:16:12 PM »
This topic was decided some 27 years ago.    Easter eggers are fine for backyard hobbyists, but they are definitely not birds suited for showing.   The board of directors, only a year or two ago, passed a resolution that defines what is not to be considered an Ameraucana.   If it does not breed true to color at least 50 percent of the time, it is not an Ameraucana.   At this point in breed history, we need more quality birds that are already in the standard, and more people prepared to breed and show them.   That being said, we oftentimes offer awards at our national meet for best and reserve \"AOV\".
An AOV is defined as Any Other Variety.   That means true breeding, recognizable defined color with all the required Ameraucana traits.   The definition does not include multicolored hybrids.

AOV?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 07:25:06 PM »

Actualy the AOV does exhist at the shows, but it means any other variety, meaning a true variety, not a mixed breed, a variety in chickens is refering to the color most times, although also is frizzled etc.  like the folks working on the \"barred\", Black/gold etc
they are real varities, but not recognised within the breed as a standard color/variety...
so folks have a lot they can \"play around with\"