The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Ameraucana Marketplace

muffs and beards

<< < (2/2)

faith valley:
You all went right over my head with all of that...  too funny.  Key work \"Medium\".  The parents all have the medium muff and beards, all the 16 younger chicks appear to follow parent size and amount of beard /muff.  The older chick would have a very full beard and muff then.  This makes total sense now... we are just starting to take a look at all of the chicks a little closer now as we have youngsters that are eagerly waiting to pick up any extra chicks that we might not want to grow out.

Ameraucanas are very much desired in our area, as most of the kids here have easter egger mutts.  Since we know we only want to grow out the wheaten and not the blue wheaten chicks from this batch of 16, would it be safe to only keep chicks showing black tail feathers?  

There are about 6 that have black in the primaries and tail feathers, all of the reast have the blue /grey shade.  Can we assume that the black feathering would indicate a wheaten chick and the grey feathering would be a blue wheaten?  They wouldn\'t change colors later would they?  The ckicks range in age between 5-7 weeks of age.  I would think the older batch should be set on what color they will be correct?

I have been told by Wheaten OEG breeders that the wheaten color doesn\'t really mature until the bird is about 10 months old.  Do you find this to be true with the ameraucanas too?

Thanks for all of your help!!

~Patty~

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version