Author Topic: The Ameraucana head  (Read 314 times)

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
The Ameraucana head
« on: July 05, 2024, 10:34:43 PM »
A member that is a visual learner asked for photos of a proper Ameraucana head. Notice the differences in the heads of the birds on the left versus those on the right.

I have included a few quotes on the Ameraucana head that may be helpful.

“I look for a beak that is deep at the base and not overly long.  Then I look for some downward curve to it, especially the lower mandible.   Of course long, hooked upper mandibles are to be avoided.   I also try to select for wider heads, but that can be a tough task in some varieties of bantams.”

“If you select for low combs with a good base at the skull, it will help. You need a broad base from skull to comb and if this area is narrow, combs will flop over at maturity. It will be wise to check hens and pullets for this as well, since they are half of your bloodlines.”

“Getting back to judging I find that every judge has to look at something on a bird first. I look at the head. I think that I do have a lasting picture of a bird’s head.”

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameraucana head
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2024, 03:51:55 PM »
Wow, the pictures on the right are a perfect mate for Kris's Blue Bantam cock on his posts that he often has something to relate about. Could you just imagine the outcome of those pairings?
Gordon Gilliam

Lindsay Helton

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2024, 10:37:41 AM »
Haha. I can’t bring myself to remove the bantam blue cock’s photo from the website. He has brought us too many laughs.

kkdossey

• ABC BOD
  • Ameraucana Guru
  • Long live the blue bantam cock, whoever you are!
    • View Profile
    • Prime Time Poultry
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2024, 08:49:31 PM »
Wish I had those birds to try it!
Kris Dossey