Author Topic: Egg size  (Read 2760 times)

Blue Egg Acres

Egg size
« on: March 13, 2007, 02:47:28 PM »
My \"pullets\" will be 1 year old next month and some are still laying eggs that are quite small. At what age can you be sure the egg from a particular hen is as big as it\'s going to be? Also, if at maturity a hen that is the proper size lays a small egg, is it best not to hatch from her so as not to pass on this trait? I have avoided doing this but am not sure it\'s necessary.

John

Egg size
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 08:33:34 PM »
a hen that is the proper size lays a small egg

For the most part bigger birds lay bigger eggs, but there seems to still be a range of egg size.  Even with bantams I have some hens/pullets that lay pretty big eggs for bantams.  Some of the commercial egg laying chickens that lay extra large eggs are not extra large - large fowl.  I think we need to breed birds that are to the \"standard\" by weight according to a scale, not just by eye.  I think you will find most silver and wheaten Ameraucana LF are under size.  
The Standard doesn\'t say what size the eggs should be.  The eggs have to be big enough or small enough to produce \"standard\" size chickens - both LF and bantams.  I would strive for chickens of the proper size first.  I think that by selective breeding for bird size that proper egg size will follow.  I wouldn\'t cull chicks because of the size of the egg they came from, but only breed from the ones that grow up to \"standard\" size.  If none are to size, breed from the ones that are closest.  And do the same every year.  Sometimes a cross is needed to bring in genes that are needed to accomplish the goal.

bantamhill

Egg size
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 07:25:09 AM »
Barbara,

My opinion is similar to John\'s. I have been blown away by the small egg size produced by some very large LF hens of many breeds. What stunned me is that the chicks hatched always make the size needed by the standard. So I would not worry about the egg size unless I had nothing else to worry about with my birds (egg shell color, size, type, color).

Michael

Egg size
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 12:32:33 PM »
Egg size and shape is something I have concentrated on long before I knew what the Ameraucana standard was.  General rule of thumb is that the 20th week of lay is when you can determine the size of the egg. I will cull before lay based on the width of the hens in the same way you judge cattle.
For sure shape can be determined long before 20th wk. and round is desirable as chicks hatch more easily.