Author Topic: Hen or Roo  (Read 4713 times)

Hen or Roo
« on: July 13, 2007, 07:44:10 PM »
Can you guys help and tell if this is a hen or a rooster.  I am really worried it is a rooster.  \"She\" is 15 weeks old and doesn\'t look anything like our other 2 roosters, but I just have a feeling.  Please tell me I am wrong.

Thanks

Mike Gilbert

Hen or Roo
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 08:08:50 PM »
Rooster.   You can stop worrying.

Hen or Roo
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 08:11:33 PM »
why does this one have such a small pea comb, and is not crowing?

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Hen or Roo
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 11:33:12 PM »
From this photo, I would have to respectfully disagree with Mike and call this a pullet.

Pick up the chicken and look under the feathers in the saddle area and see if there are any pointed feathers coming in.

The tail feathers on this chicken look like girly feathers to me.

As for not crowing, I have about 30-40 cockerels out in the garden right now between the ages of 8-20 weeks and I have only seen two of them crow.

Jean
Jean

Mike Gilbert

Hen or Roo
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 07:31:25 AM »
Upon second thought, Jean may be right.   Hard to tell not being able to see up close comb, hackle, or saddle feathers.    I had never seen an Ameraucana pullet of that color, but I have seen E/E cockerels that were that particular shading of color.   If a pullet, I don\'t care for her conformation.

Hen or Roo
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 08:29:01 AM »
The bird is shaped like a male and I see sickles in the tail. As Mike said, I would have to check the saddle and hackle feathers. I can see why Mike would say male. The bird appears to be dominant wheaten, gold  and columbian restricted. It also has  mahogany in its genetic makeup. It also has a gold diluting gene of some kind. Nice looking easter egger.

Tim

Hen or Roo
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 11:02:40 PM »
I will try to get some better photos of those areas and see what you guys think.  Thanks so much.

Hen or Roo
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 12:21:33 PM »
Your chicken reminds me a LOT of our hen Hawk. She is an Easter Egger we got as an \"Araucana\" from Ideal. We really wondered about gender for a long time, but she indeed turned out a hen. She has a glorious fullness of plumage and I\'ve only run into her color in 1 or 2 other Easter Eggers.