Author Topic: Looking for quality stock  (Read 3022 times)

Looking for quality stock
« on: July 28, 2007, 07:25:46 AM »
Hello.
Several years ago we purchased some stock from McKinney/Grovero. They have been wonderful birds. The hens are fantastic layers, the roosters have nice meat and are great at protecting their flocks.
I understand that this hatchery is no longer in business but we would very much like to add some quality stock to our flock.
Originally we got birds in Black, White and Blue. We\'ve only maintained the black line but would certainly be open to other colors.
Does anyone have chicks that might be available late this season or know of anyone who sells quality chicks?
Thanks so much.

Gabe

bantamhill

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 11:47:04 AM »
Gabe,

I am personally done with chick and hatching egg selling for the year. Your best bet are started birds or breeding stock. The following is the link to the club\'s breeder list on this site:

http://www.ameraucana.org/DnLd/BreedersDirectory.pdf

Michael

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 05:44:42 PM »
Would it be possible to add a link to the Breeder\'s List in the main link\'s on this site\'s home page? An intuitive obvious link would be helpful, as the information is very often wanted.
Also, would there be sufficient interest among posters to add a \"For Sale\" section for listing current for-sale stock? This could be helpful for people who don\'t breed on a large scale but from time to time have a small quantity of birds or eggs available, as well as buyers wanting to browse current offerings.

bantamhill

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 08:22:22 AM »
It is possible to move and change the link. I have been working on an idea, but do not have it totally finalized.

We can add a seperate \"for sale\" forum if there is a consensus to do it. The last time the discussion came up there were more people interested in keeping it only one forum. The basic reasoning was that most people wanted a one stop experience. There seems to be more people looking for Ameraucana than Ameraucana available. The last birds for sale were posted on July 23rd and one can still easily find those by scrolling.

Personally, I don\'t really care . . . the one stop shop is working for me because I rarely have eggs or birds that are not already spoken for, but I am not opposed to adding another forum.

Michael

John

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:58:09 AM »
link to the Breeder\'s List in the main link\'s on this site\'s home page?

A year or so ago we moved the FAQ button to the top position of all the links/buttons on the site\'s home page and that takes people to the Breeders Directory.  It seemed logical to me that the Breeders Directory should be linked to the Question about how to obtain eggs and birds.  We have 10 buttons already and I think we can have too many.  
The first topic on this forum is the one about Guidelines and it also tries to give helpful direction...
A lot of information about Ameraucana chickens and the Ameraucana Breeders Club can be found on our website http://ameraucana.org.
There is also a bunch of info on this Forum and the Search option is a powerful tool that can help to find the answers to your questions.  Just click on the \"search\" button above, type in a word to look for and click \"Search\".  There are Advanced Search options that may help narrow your search.

Other comments? Ideas?

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:38:31 PM »
I\'ve always been a proponent of multiple forums.  It just makes it easier, in my opinion, to find what you are looking for when the posters as well as the moderators try to categorize the postings according to their content.  

I understand the idea behind the \"one stop shop\", but that just doesn\'t suit me.  I always go into the top level forum home anyway, then click into the appropriate category (which in this case is just the one category).

The moderators keep track of the postings and move the topics to the appropriate category when they are mis-posted.  I actively participate in three forums in the internet (including this one) as well as run a couple of my own.  This is the only one that has a single forum for everything.