Author Topic: Hello from the UK  (Read 2564 times)

Hello from the UK
« on: September 12, 2007, 05:22:26 AM »
Hello to everyone from England!

I am the proud owner of 6 ameraucanas and am eager for any information on them.  

I have never seen them in the UK and got them from a breeder who bought some hatching eggs from the States via ebay, can you still send eggs internationally?

People who I have shown them to hear say they are aruacanas and that the only difference is in the name you use, ie US aruacanas have ear tufts and no tail and in the UK they have beards and a tail, however to me they are quite a different breed, ameraucanas have a shorter neck and softer face.

I shall stick to my guns on this one!

John

Hello from the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:06:55 AM »
I think the biggest difference between the British Araucana and the Ameraucana is that Ameraucanas don\'t have crests.  They both have tails and muffs, so the British Araucana is much closer to the Ameraucana than the American Araucana.
The Australian Araucanas are similar to the British.  I think the German Araucana is somewhere between the American Araucana and all the others, but don\'t know much about them.
Feathersite has some interesting photos -
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKAraucanas.html

Hello from the UK
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 11:04:34 AM »
Thank you very much John, very informative.  

I would very much like to increase my stock but have not found anyone within the UK.  These eggs originally came from the US but the hatch rate, as one might expect, was poor but if that\'s the only option........