Author Topic: Blue Egg Project  (Read 2966 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Blue Egg Project
« on: September 23, 2007, 10:22:46 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone know who or how to contact the person/people who were involved in the \"blue egg project\".  They crossed ameraucanas and leghorns to get a bluer egg and a production type layer....

I am looking for a production type layer with the blue eggs.

Jean
Jean

Blue Egg Project
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 10:53:07 PM »
Jean,

I have been working on the project for five years. Harell Sellers was also working on the project. The problem with a production layer is that the more eggs the birds lay the less pigment they have to add to the eggs. Leghorns also have genes that cause the eggs to be lighter in color. I have been trying to work out the problems and have had some sucess but not what I want.  My egg production has dropped when comparred to the first birds I produced. I have decided to change from production egg layers to an unusual blue egg layer.

I have named my birds monique blueggers. I am still in the process of adding traits to the bird. When I am finished the birds will have yellow skin, a pea comb, have muffs and a tassel (crest). They will be white with a black tassel or an unusual variety I call mobarred. The mobars will be barred and mottled on black with a white tassel.

I am also thinking about a red mobar with a white tassel.  I have not worked out the genetics on the red mobar. I am doing some test crossing and will know more next spring.

Tim

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Blue Egg Project
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 03:12:17 PM »
Tim,

I am looking for something that has \"better\" production than I currently have, but not necessarily an egg laying machine.  The deepness of the blue is not an issue either.

My friend who has a small laying facility swears the ameraucana eggs are better to cook with and that the birds process their vitamins better than any other bird she has worked with in the past 6-7 years.

A pea comb is something that I prefer as it gets darn cold here.  Anyway if you could point me in the direction so I could get some chicks or hatching eggs of this sort I would appreciate it.

Jean

Jean

Blue Egg Project
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:15:49 PM »
Jean,

I still have my hen blueggers and I just hatched out some black, white and barred blueggers. The problem is that some birds are heterozygous for the blue egg gene. In other words they also carry the white egg gene. I have a cockerel that is purebred ( homozygous) for the blue egg gene.  I have some other cockerels but they are too young to determine if they are homozygous for blue egg. All of the females would lay a blue egg but if you crossed their offspring you could get white egg layers. This spring I could ship some eggs or straight run chicks ( I would have to get that worked out with the Ag department) to you. Some would be white and others would be black or barred. They are about the size of a leghorn and lay a light blue medium to large egg. They also have the temperament  of a white leghorn.

If you want me to ship chicks I will have to get my flock tested and work things out with the post office.

Tim